Taken on a freelance writing gig – now what happens with tax?

Hi Everyone,

I've recently managed to pick up a bit of freelance writing work which is great! I have signed a piece of paper with an agency which states that I will be responsible for my own National Insurance, taxes, pension etc. So now what do I do? I'm guessing that I will have to do a tax return so I'm keeping a record of my income and expenditure. How is this tax return completed? And how does it work if I already have a main job and this freelance writing work is just a bit on the side? Should the tax return also include my main employment income (my employer currently sorts all of that out for me under PAYE).

Any help for a confused tax novice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best thing to do is contact HMRC and ask them what you need to do. They are the experts in tax, after all! (Or so they say)  I know people who are freelance writers but that's all they do and they have to register as self-employed. All info is either on the HMRC site (have a look) or you may have to phone them. But my first step would definitely be to look at the website. 
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are you expecting to make from this gig? And will there be future gigs? 

If self-employed income is less than £1000, I believe that you don't have to register as self-employed. I'd start here and follow the links ... 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!