New Post Advanced Search

SNES

6 replies 166 views
StenwoldStenwold Forumite
81 posts
10 Posts Name Dropper
Does anyone here still play any retro computers/consoles? I've just found my old SNES and have been thrown back to the early 90s, it still works with no issues!
My young daughters are loving Super Mario World, games for kids really were better back then.

Replies

• artyclartyartyclarty Forumite
    186 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    There are a lot of us out there! Our spare room currently has hooked up somewhere in the region of 15 retro consoles (the switcher boxes are now all labelled up that helps massivley) hooked up to my late 80s/early 90s Panasonic 12" CRT via a long broken VHS player. I'm not quite sure what I will do when the tv finally gives out. Owned that guy since my parents bought it from radio rentals 2nd hand in 1992!
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a shop near me with an extensive range of classic consoles . You can book up and play to your hearts content 
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of us out there! Our spare room currently has hooked up somewhere in the region of 15 retro consoles (the switcher boxes are now all labelled up that helps massivley) hooked up to my late 80s/early 90s Panasonic 12" CRT via a long broken VHS player. I'm not quite sure what I will do when the tv finally gives out. Owned that guy since my parents bought it from radio rentals 2nd hand in 1992!

are there not cables or adaptors available that allow you to connect  old equipment to  a hmdi slot? maplins used to be good for that kind of thing. what about amazon, might be something on there.

• edited 21 June at 12:09PM
    LumstormLumstorm Forumite
    242 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 21 June at 12:09PM

are there not cables or adaptors available that allow you to connect  old equipment to  a hmdi slot? maplins used to be good for that kind of thing. what about amazon, might be something on there.

There are plenty of cheap adaptors available on Amazon but they seem to be universally bad they add lag and wrongly interpret a 240p signal as 480i the popular choices with the retro gaming crowd is the Framemeister upscaler which I use currently it seems to go for around £450 the price has gone up a bit as it's no longer being made mine cost £340. The other cheaper choice is the OSSC which is  a line doubler rather than an upscaler which is around £120. You also have the RetroTINK which is around £90 as well as individual cable for the consoles with a Retro TINK built in called the RAD2X they cost around £50 each. Unlike the cheap crap adaptors the products I mention are specifically designed with game consoles in mind so correctly interpret the 240p signal from retro consoles.
    There is always new games coming out for consoles like the MegaDrive and the SNES and new addons such as flash carts and products to improve the picture and sound quality and help you connect to more modern screens.
  • joeypescijoeypesci Forumite
    586 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I threw out my original Mega Drive into a skip early 00. Shocking. Now wish I hadn't. However the local kid a few doors down rescued it and knocked asking if he could take it. I said yes of course. 

Now have a replacement. Then got a model 1 MegaCD that have always wanted back in the day but couldn't afford. Have a Dreamcast, which also previously owned briefly when they were discontinued and Game were selling them cheap. But only played it and week and took it back as I couldn't really afford the purchase in the first place and knew I'd get bored and it would get thrown out (wasn't into retro collecting then. Never even knew of the idea).

With the mega drive, I've only really grabbed the games I loved as a teen or always wanted but never got.

Am looking to sell the Mega CD model 1 soon however, as it never really gets used and know other retro collectors would use it more than I do.

Just be aware retro collecting is a thing now. Enjoy the SNES, just don't let someone convince you to give it to them for peanuts. Unless of course you want to. Search for the games you have as some can fetch a hefty price.
  • John_evans21John_evans21 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie

There are but they aren't cheap, if you want decent quality. For me I have picked up both the Analogue Mega sg and Super Nt, which are basically complete remakes of the original Mega Drive and SNES Consoles using FPGA chips, the quality that they can output even in on a 55" 4k TV is absolutely astounding. If you are in any way serious about wanting to play these old games on modern tv's I would heartily recommend  both, they are not cheat at around £200 ish once shipping from the US and customs charges are taken into account. But they are absolutely brilliant.