edited 28 June at 12:56AM in Pets & Pet Care
23 replies 789 views
Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
3.4K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 28 June at 12:56AM in Pets & Pet Care
I bought a Burmese on Saturday.
Hes 7 months old, the breeder when into lockdown & ended up keeping them in her Cattery until now.
He lived with his two brothers.
Hes not been neutered, he’s booked in for 2 weeks (vet is backlogged).

He’s howling day & night.
Is it likely to be because he still has his bits?  If so, that will be fixed soon. 
Or because this is all new to him?  He’s still not coming to me to Stoke, but he’s let me touch him a couple of time’s before he runs off, but he’s not hiding away.
Or is he missing his brothers?  In which case do I have to go back quick (& buy the last one - before she sells it)? 

Replies

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think it is the new place with new smells. 
    Did you et anything to bring with him that was familiar like a blanket or a cushion etc ?
  • edited 16 June at 11:50AM
    hb2hb2 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June at 11:50AM
    Poor puss is probably very confused, especially if he has never been a house-cat before. I would suggest giving him a bit of time to settle, rather than rushing out and buying his sibling, or you could end up with 2 cats that howl all the time (especially as orientals are prone to be more vocal than many others)!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever owned a Burmese before?

I have since the late 80s, just got a new girl as my Delilah had cancer at 17. 
    They are very vocal and no doubt your boy is unsettled as he lived with his brothers for 7 months of his life, he is now a teenager and suddenly everything is different, smells different home.  No, neutering will not stop the howling as you call it they are vocal. 

Burmese do not like to be left alone for long periods and many do say two is better.  I always had two until Zanzi died aged 18 three years ago.  Then just Delilah who cried quite a bit until she settled down, the vet said not to get a young cat as company as Delilah was too old to handle and it would stress her out.

Freya is 4 months old and the breeder warned me very chatty and yes she is very chatty low cries but will give a howl if you are coming back after being out.  Oh, and she hid for the first day she arrived with me.  I have had her for 3 weeks now and she is manic and could outrun Usain Bolt into everything but so much fun and loving.   The breeder actually told me a story, she sold a few years back to a man a kitten he loved the look of Burmese but having one in real life he could not handle.  He brought the kitten back as the talking was too much.   He ended up with a British Shorthair quiet and not in your face.

Give your new boy a chance to settle and perhaps get plug-in thing from the vet to help him settle.
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hb2 said:
    Poor puss is probably very confused, especially if he has never been a house-cat before. I would suggest giving him a bit of time to settle, rather than rushing out and buying his sibling, or you could end up with 2 cats that howl all the time (especially as orientals are prone to be more vocal than many others)!
    Yes lol that is a worry, in stereo! 
    I’ve a feliway in order - express postage.
    I spoke to the vets nurse today, she said their might be a Queen in the vicinity, and if it’s that he will stop after the snip & the hormones have gone - up to 2 months she said!

3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    sheramber said:
    I would think it is the new place with new smells. 
    Did you et anything to bring with him that was familiar like a blanket or a cushion etc ?
    No, she didn’t give me anything
    like that.  
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever owned a Burmese before?

I have since the late 80s, just got a new girl as my Delilah had cancer at 17. 
    They are very vocal and no doubt your boy is unsettled as he lived with his brothers for 7 months of his life, he is now a teenager and suddenly everything is different, smells different home.  No, neutering will not stop the howling as you call it they are vocal. 

Burmese do not like to be left alone for long periods and many do say two is better.  I always had two until Zanzi died aged 18 three years ago.  Then just Delilah who cried quite a bit until she settled down, the vet said not to get a young cat as company as Delilah was too old to handle and it would stress her out.

Freya is 4 months old and the breeder warned me very chatty and yes she is very chatty low cries but will give a howl if you are coming back after being out.  Oh, and she hid for the first day she arrived with me.  I have had her for 3 weeks now and she is manic and could outrun Usain Bolt into everything but so much fun and loving.   The breeder actually told me a story, she sold a few years back to a man a kitten he loved the look of Burmese but having one in real life he could not handle.  He brought the kitten back as the talking was too much.   He ended up with a British Shorthair quiet and not in your face.

Give your new boy a chance to settle and perhaps get plug-in thing from the vet to help him settle.
    Yes I did own a Burmese once, but he was unusual practically mute!
    i choose Burmese because they are beautiful to touch, silk like, you want to stroke them & because they are interactive, they want to engage & chat.
    This is howling for short periods - frequently.
    He does seem to be a tad more settled today, still howling, but a bit less often & coming closer.
    He didn’t really ever hide, even the first day - he was the bolshy lunatic one!
    Hes also incredibly greedy, he wants to eat everything I have.  I have him a quarter or a Pringle earlier, I didn’t for a minute expect him to eat it - I’ve never had a cat beg for scraps before! 
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other than the howling he’s great, using the litter tray perfectly, poos solid,  eating & drinking well. 
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    1K posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_kim said:
    He’s still not coming to me to Stoke
    I'd howl if you tried to get me to Stoke as well :wink:
    I haven't owned a Burmese, but am aware they can be quite vocal. I wouldn't rush out and get another one, but would certainly give him time to get used to the new surroundings, and of course you and your family. 
    Post a picture when he's settled so we can all go 'Awwwwww'. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • edited 17 June at 8:15AM
    Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June at 8:15AM
    Kim_kim said:
    He’s still not coming to me to Stoke
    I'd howl if you tried to get me to Stoke as well :wink:
    I haven't owned a Burmese, but am aware they can be quite vocal. I wouldn't rush out and get another one, but would certainly give him time to get used to the new surroundings, and of course you and your family. 
    Post a picture when he's settled so we can all go 'Awwwwww'. 
    Lol - I’m terrible with my contacts, the distance prescription is so strong it makes reading difficult.  So I switched to bifocal contacts, but only a low reader prescription, if I had the high it compromises the distance use and driving.
    So when  I’m wearing contacts, which is most of the wake time - I need readers for small stuff - like this.  Without them I can write anything!!!!
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they do quieten with age but it's like 10 years. :D
    When he is howling just talk to him in a quiet voice he will get used to you quickly.