MoneySaving for cyclists discussion

Options

Comments

• naked
    naked Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a word of warning to anyone taking up the voucher offer (if you manage to get one) - do shop around for prices.
    I've heard of one person signed up to the scheme charging £100 for replacing a set of cables and brake pads (£50 after the voucher).
  • Jabba_flabba
    Jabba_flabba Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2020 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Re the voucher offer: just read that you need to take ID to the bike shop. In my case both my driving licence photocard & passport have expired. I haven't driven in years so I figured I'd renew if/when I need to. Passport expired more recently but I figured, again, with no plans to travel I'd postpone renewing. So I'm stuffed!
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Re the voucher offer: just read that you need to take ID to the bike shop. In my case both my driving licence photocard & passport have expired. I haven't driven in years so I figured I'd renew if/when I need to. Passport expired more recently but I figured, again, with no plans to travel I'd postpone renewing. So I'm stuffed!
    Shouldn't be a problem using an expired passport, as long as the photo still looks like you 

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 July 2020 at 6:17PM
    Options
    At 67 I really want to start cycling for fun and exercise but haven't the foggiest idea as to where to start - which bike to buy, where to buy one, should I take a proficiency course? etc.  Then I can read up on bike maintenance etc But where to start this new life as a cyclist??  Any help anyone please?
    I’m older than you and took up cycling (after a 50 year gap) last year.  I bought a second hand hybrid, without really having a clue about what I was doing. There is a lot to learn. Modern bikes are way different!  Fortunately a hybrid was about right as local cycling involves gravelly paths through parks as well as roads.  I found it difficult to get started, was terrified of traffic on the roads, but I did a bikeability course and joined local Breeze rides which was great for confidence and  for getting tips from more experienced riders.  I now confidently cycle from suburbia into central London.

At the moment it is very difficult to buy a bike as demand during lockdown outstripped  manufacturing capacity. That should ease off now, plus I suspect that  some of those lockdown bikes will be for sale in the coming months, especially when the weather turns.  

Social cycling has started up again but the size of the groups is limited.  Breeze is for women; try the Let’s Ride site for other groups as well as for Breeze.  As already advised, your local independent bike shop is your friend, probably a tad more expensive but worth it.  In my area there are local Facebook groups for cyclists.  There are also local cycle clubs but my impression of the ones in my area is that the extent to which they are welcoming to newbies varies considerably.  OTH there are plenty of keen cyclists who really want to help beginners, you just need to find them.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bouicca21 said:
     OTH there are plenty of keen cyclists who really want to help beginners, you just need to find them.
    Great post and I think you make a particularly good point here which I strongly agree with.  When I was trying to get from commuting into more cycling I joined a local MTB group not really understanding how technical off road riding was and also joining when the rides were in darkness.  After the second ride I was going to give up as it clearly wasn't for me at all and I also though there's no way this group is going to allow me to come back anyway but I was wrong, they were keen and encouraging for me to come back next week.  Which I did and gradually improved to make cycling I just couldn't be without now.

I feel it's a gift I've been given so it's only fair to repay it and I'm always keen to help beginners and signed up a local cycle leader to take people out on social cycles, it's great to see giving people small bits of help with how to use gears and brakes can make such a rewarding difference.  I'm also keen to highlight we all had to start somewhere and was quite amused recently when I found some video I took not long after I started MTB riding which looks awful now so of course I uploaded a video of it for people to see how bad I was when I started.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why no mention of maintaining your own bike. Long term probably the biggest money saver for bike owners. 

As for bells,  never use one, I prefer the device nature gave me for communicating with my fellow humans. 
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At 67 I really want to start cycling for fun and exercise but haven't the foggiest idea as to where to start - which bike to buy, where to buy one, should I take a proficiency course? etc.  Then I can read up on bike maintenance etc But where to start this new life as a cyclist??  Any help anyone please?
    Any friends, relatives, neighbours who cycle? We tend to be like ex-smokers, converts who want to persuade others how good cycling is. Most people you know who cycle will be willing to discuss it endlessly. Just beware of their own limitations and prejudices.  Fervent road cyclists and committed mountain bikers will have very different ideas about what you should try. In your position with a choice of cyclists to approach I’d go for someone who regards cycling as transport, who does their shopping on a bike and offers practical advice. 

Another option is is a local bike co-operative. They will relieve you of a few quid for a recycled bike, but it should be checked, functional and safe. 

I’d start on cyclepaths, parks, old railway lines etc, so you can become confident in your bike handling before wrestling with traffic. 

Finally, think about comfort and your own flexibility on a bike. If getting your leg over a bar is an issue you don’t need a bike with a bar. If you have any pain in your wrists, a more upright position - like a Dutch sit-up and beg bike could be more comfortable. Don’t get hung up on what you remember about bikes. There are far more types and manufacturers now and anything goes. 
  • Alison_28
    Options
    A couple of years ago when I got my bike back out of the garage and started cycling more I joined my local cycle club. That has been great. They organise regular group rides to suit all abilities and cycling styles usually with a tea stop or a pub at the end (suspended during Covid but starting up again now). I am now on the committee and involved in leading easy (free of charge) rides for folks getting back into cycling. Non-members welcome. So check out your local cycling club for social cycling and local experience.
  • Paulinej24
    Options
    If you can afford it and are worried about the fitness for getting started, or live somewhere really hilly e-bikes can be useful. Assistance can be turned up or down, to give more or less exercise (high assistance will reduce range). In Scotland there are interest free loans from the Energy Saving Trust.

• Paulinej24
    Options
    Also, as well as discounts, all members of cycling UK or British Cycling have liability insurance. So if your bike is covered on home insurance, or if you aren't bothered about insuring for theft etc. then this is a way to be covered if for example you crash into someone. Best avoided but accidents do happen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback