MoneySaving for cyclists discussion

Options

Comments

• alembicbassman
    Options
    If you're not ordering your parts online and need something in a hurry I've found Wilko (Wilkinsons) a handy place to buy spares like tubes, brake / gear cables etc... They're often cheaper than Halfords. Wilko own brand stuff is made by Clarks - a recognised cycle brand.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2020 at 11:38AM
    Options
    I was just going to say that I always buy the 
    https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-black-mini-flick-bicycle-bell
    bell from Wilko for £1 but it's gone up to £1.50! Shocking! That's way above the rate of inflation Wilko.
  • alembicbassman
    Options
    I've gone back to an old 'Bring Bring' bell. Nobody in Yorkshire takes any notice of the 'Ping'  bells.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,522 Forumite
    Options
    I’ve got one of those ping bells and Londoners being much less hardy and ornery than Yorkshire folk, definitely take notice - unless they have headphones stuffed in their ears.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've gone back to an old 'Bring Bring' bell. Nobody in Yorkshire takes any notice of the 'Ping'  bells.
      I have an AirZound air horn for times like that!  It's bloomin' loud!
    I'm kidding! I'd never use the horn for pedestrians -- happy to wait or say a friendly "hello".  But the air horn has saved my neck on one or two occasions when motorists have somehow failed to see me.  Despite being louder, it gets a calmer reaction than shouting... possibly because motorists are used to the horn as a warning sound, whereas shouting sounds aggressive even if it's "please don't hit me!!!"
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    My bike is totally silent at the moment. When I pass pedestrians they often shout at me for not ringing my bell. I don't go fast it's just they're not aware of my approach. I was out yesterday and the path was blocked by a particularly obese family. River on one said and railings on the other. Even without social distancing there was absolutely no way through. So I rang my bell and thanked them as I went past. As I carried on I could hear them shouting "what are you ringing your bell for? Can I help you? What do you want?". There's no way of keeping pedestrians happy.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    fred246 said:
     I rang my bell and thanked them as I went past. As I carried on I could hear them shouting "what are you ringing your bell for? Can I help you? What do you want?". There's no way of keeping [some] pedestrians happy.
    Some families belong in shopping centres. With nothing to buy and no maccy d they're easily bored.
    Most pedestrians are fine, treat them with respect and they do the same. Ignore the miserable minority.
  • kianm_2
    Options
    I am really pleased Money Saving Expert have put this on with support from Cycling UK who as a member I recommend people join they offer cycle insurance and more importantly your supporting their cause to make cycling safer and be inclusive for all.  Anyway, this wasn't a post about Cycling UK ! I have been saving money for years cycling since I was a child and its great to see so many people cycling during lockdown despite seeing some people cycling on the wrong side of the road! (least they are learning!) Personally if you want to save money.....buy yourself a second hand bike and please stay away from heavy bikes and low spec bikes - when I mean low spec - dont buy a second hand bike which when new was less than £150....for example "dunlop" full suspension bikes you are asking for pain and you will want to give up cycling straight away!  Go for something that retailed new for around £400 new and you will have a bike that will be more reliable and easier to maintain.  My general tip is test ride a second hand bike and play through all the gears and push hard down on the pedals the gears shouldn't jump.....I have had people buy second hand bikes to find the chain was worn which weared out the gears (cassette / cogs) which racked up more money.  Remember keep your bike clean gunk builds up and bikes deteriorate massively in cold weather when the gritters out...
    Youtube - GCN - Global cycle network is awesome! - I have enjoyed watching and sharing mine and their wisdom so if you fancy fixing it yourself try watching these videos first....the worst thing (only thing) is punctures, the more you get them the quicker and easier it will be to fix them....if you become an obsessive cyclist like me good tyres will make such a difference and naturally the faster you cycle the less likely you get punctures - well that's what I think anyway! 
    And finally ditch the car it makes you lazy and fat and costs money (this applies to electric cars!) ride a bike and be polite to all road users even when they have done something dangerous be the better man and move on...which leaves me to say get cycling !

• mateypeeps
    mateypeeps Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is for any MSE moderators to pass on to whoever it may concern.
    From the Cycle to Work article at  https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-save-money-on-buying-a-bike/

Basic-rate taxpayers can save 32% (20% income tax,12% national insurance). 
    Higher-rate taxpayers can save 42% (40% income tax, 2% national insurance)

Not 100% true for people like me, and as they years roll on *Cov-19 allowing) there will be more of "us".
    I work part time at a well known fast food business, and I am also Retired.
    Hence I pay NO National Insurance.
    By law, they cannot and do not deduct 12% of my wages.
    I still get taxed as my Pension(s) mean I am over the Perspnal Allowance threshold.
    For completeness, consider mentioning that one day in the article (and mention the modified rate of saving).
  • jimbillwood
    Options
    One thing to watch out for with the cycle to work scheme - if you are on a final salary pension (sorry, I know not many are) and close to retirement, don't sign up for this as it is a salary sacrifice scheme so effectively reduces your salary - and hence your pension. Since, hopefully, you will be drawing your pension for a long time, this will easily outweigh c2w savings
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback