New Post Advanced Search

Keeping White cat clean

10 replies 234 views
I have just acquired a White cat after taking him in when an elderly relative died ,hes very nervous and dosent like  being handled much his coat is looking grubby and i dont know how to keep him clean any ideas appreciated.

Replies

• donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cats clean themselves.   Some people bath cats especially show cats before a show, but they are used to this since kittens.  So do not try it with an adult cat which have never been bathed.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a grey and white cat (white chest, white paws).
    He was an outdoor cat and roamed far and wide across gardens and allotments, whatever the weather.
    Regardless of what state he came home in, he always cleaned himself until his white fur was pristine.

When cats are poorly they can stop grooming themselves.
    He may have something wrong with him or perhaps he's going through some stress because of his circumstances.

I would never, ever try to bathe a cat that isn't used to it.
  • renegadefmrenegadefm Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    A white cat is no more dirty than a black one. Its just you notice it more. Bit like a white carpet is a nightmare to look cleaner than a darker colour. 
  • mallimay31mallimay31 Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    Thanks for the advice its appreciated
  • PiersHudsonPiersHudson Forumite
    16 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic
    cats clean themselves.   Some people bath cats especially show cats before a show, but they are used to this since kittens.  So do not try it with an adult cat which have never been bathed.

Exactly, I was about to say that
  • tealadytealady Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give him time to settle, if he is upset then grooming may be the last thing on his mind.
    Having said that I have had cats who wouldnt pass a day without a good grooming session and others that barely wiped an occasional paw across their face.
    They are all different. That's what makes them (IMO) such fascinating creatures.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
  • BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it a older cat? several years ago I had a older cat who developed joint issues and the first sign was she was unable to groom herself as well as she had always done.  I have also known it to be a sign of teeth or gum problems or as already said it could just need time to settle in a new environment especially if it was a one person cat.   

Maybe worth calling the vet and having a chat with them the veterinary nurses at my practice are a font of knowledge
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • eamoneamon Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds of a festival that i was at a few years ago. Dog friendly and very muddy hence every dog covered apart from 1 big white dog. Must have had its own anti-muck shield.
    Cats can and do get dirty, usually self cleaning as well. Suspect its related to Cat politics/hierarchy.
  • MontysmamMontysmam Forumite
    21 posts
    10 Posts
    My White cat is 18 now, he would often come in looking like a car mechanic! He's always cleaned himself up though. Now he is older, he finds it a bit more difficult to reach some areas, a gentle brush helps, but would never bath him. Just a little tip, white cats do have a tendency to develop skin cancer quicker than other cats, so if he likes sun bathing, pop sun cream on his nose and ears. Despite doing this for mine, he did develop pre-cancerous cells in the the tips of his ears at about 15, so we had to have the tips amputated - he looks like a teddy bear now bless him!
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your relative had been unwell or otherwise struggling to look after the cat for a while, it's worth taking the cat to a vet for a check-up, just to make sure he/she is healthy.