Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Travel Insurance - Claiming Bank Transfer Payment

New Post Advanced Search

Travel Insurance - Claiming Bank Transfer Payment

9 replies 125 views
My wife had a trip planned but was cancelled due to Covid19. Now she's trying to claim the deposit paid to the organiser using bank transfer. She submitted all the necessary proof to the insurance company. After a month or so, they came back with this statement:
"As the deposit claimed was paid by bank transfer this will be treated the same as if paid by a debit card. Therefore as the trip was not cancelled by your wife you should be able to obtain a full refund from her bank under the charge back scheme."
I'm a bit skeptical with this statement. Any advice/thoughts before I ask her to go ahead and call her bank? Thanks.

Replies

• Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    13.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what reason has the supplier given for not returning the deposit?
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bank transfer is not the same as a debit card payment and there is no chargeback facility available for bank transfers and this is something that the insurers should be well aware of.
  • pistachio516pistachio516 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    Caz3121 said:
    what reason has the supplier given for not returning the deposit?
    It's because they claimed it wasn't their fault. The airline cancelled the flights on that day, and also the destination country imposed quarantine restrictions on arriving visitors.
  • pistachio516pistachio516 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    A bank transfer is not the same as a debit card payment and there is no chargeback facility available for bank transfers and this is something that the insurers should be well aware of.
    I thought so too. So, in the email, insurance company basically asked us to do the whole claim process with her bank, and if the bank denied the claim, then only we go back to the insurance company again with a letter from the bank. I feel like insurance company is giving us a run around.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought so too. So, in the email, insurance company basically asked us to do the whole claim process with her bank, and if the bank denied the claim, then only we go back to the insurance company again with a letter from the bank. I feel like insurance company is giving us a run around.
    I agree perhaps start a complaint - they could then look at your case again.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • bgoodprestonbgoodpreston Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm guessing it's a bit early yet but have you heard anything back on this because it sounds just like the run around I'm being given!
  • cda2212cda2212 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi Shaun, I am having a similar problem with my bank where I paid for a course that cost £2500 but was asked to pay by bank transfer. Now the course provider is refusing to refund, the bank are not allowing me to use the chargeback scheme. Is there no way to get around this?
  • bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You cant use charge back for bank transfers. 
  • bonkersbonkers1bonkersbonkers1 Forumite
    57 posts
    10 Posts
    cda2212 said:
    Hi Shaun, I am having a similar problem with my bank where I paid for a course that cost £2500 but was asked to pay by bank transfer. Now the course provider is refusing to refund, the bank are not allowing me to use the chargeback scheme. Is there no way to get around this?
    You should really start your own thread.
    Making a bank transfer is like giving somebody cash - there is no recourse through your bank.
    You can of course start legal action if there has been a breach of contract.