New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Solar PV target price

43 replies 1.5K views
Hi there. Considering solar PV as it seems the costs have really come down. I'm thinking 4kwp, pretty average set up, perhaps a mix of South and West aspect. We have a fairly standard detached house but two main sections of roof that run south/north (smaller) and West/east (larger). What kind of price is fair and I should be aiming for? Also any recommendations? I have a call with Eon next week to get a quote from them, anyone used? Thanks!

Replies

• Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just some quick thoughts, but always best to go as big as practical, and if you have multiple orientations, then that makes more sense again, as they won't all be generating at best at the same time. Perhaps 6kWp, spread over the rooves, and that might be doable through an inverter capped at 3.68kW (the DNO 'no permission required' limit). For multiple aspects it might be worth going with a Solaredge system, where each panel works away at its best, rather than all being matched togather via a 'normal' string inverter.

Price wise, as you go larger, the cost per kWp gets lower, so for 5kWp+ I'd hope you could get to, or below £1k/kWp. 
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • SolarchaserSolarchaser Forumite
    463 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I'd agree entirely with Martyn.
    Work out the size of your roof and so how many panels will fit.
    Panels are roughly 1m by 1.6m, there is some variations, but its a decent rule of thumb
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf and Lux 3600 with 17kwh useable storage
  • AntonyTewksAntonyTewks Forumite
    20 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks both. I think I can fit either 4 or 6 south facing and then up to 16 west facing. Are panels typically 250w each? That would mean around 5kwp.
    Ideally I'd like to keep the cost to £5k ish if I can and it's feasible.  
    Are there any recommended companies out there who won't take me for a ride? I'm trying Eon for quote first as is hope being a big company they should be pretty reliable. 
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya, panels today are typically more powerful now, I'd expect suggestions in the 300-400Wp range, though you might find the price (per Wp) starts to spike upwards somewhere above 350Wp. So just guessing, but you might find that 6kWp made up of 20 300Wp panels, or 17 350Wp panels might be a similar price, whilst 15 400Wp panels may be more expensive. So worth getting several suggestions from all the companies you speak with.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • HexaneHexane Forumite
    225 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I used a small local (or I suppose "regional") installer, effectively a three-man band with no salespeople. If you mention what part of the country you're in, people may be able to recommend an outfit like that near you. By using a small installer I was able to tell them what I wanted and they applied to the DNO on my behalf for an exception (might have been a G59 application) allowing more than 3.68kW inverter capacity. Both of the big providers who sent salespeople, were not willing to do anything like that.

You may wish to overstep your £5k target and try to get a DNO agreement, a 6kW inverter and maybe a total of twenty 350W panels. I have twenty-three 315W panels and I like having the extra generation. This allows me to do things like running multiple appliances at the same time (for example tumble dryer + dishwasher + computers and screens) without any import from the grid, which wouldn't be possible with a more normal 3.68kW system. It does however mean that there are frequently times I can't use all the power I generate, which means I only get the export payments (and for me, FiT payments) for it.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 14 June at 9:32AM
    ASavvyBuyerASavvyBuyer Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 June at 9:32AM
    Thanks both. I think I can fit either 4 or 6 south facing and then up to 16 west facing. Are panels typically 250w each? That would mean around 5kwp.
    Ideally I'd like to keep the cost to £5k ish if I can and it's feasible.  
    Are there any recommended companies out there who won't take me for a ride? I'm trying Eon for quote first as is hope being a big company they should be pretty reliable. 
    I take it from your username that you may be based in Tewksbury. There is a firm based in Cheltenham that we used 5 years ago for our Solar PV installation. https://forevergreen-energy.co.uk We were very happy with the work they did and the system has worked well since installation. The engineer/salesman that we dealt with was very well informed and helpful and did not pressure us to buy on the spot.
    4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, Solar Edge Inverter + Optimisers. South Wales Valleys, Installed Aug 2015. Octopus Go Faster Electric Tariff.
    Solic 200 Diverter, 2 x Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pumps, Kia Soul & Renault Zoe EV's & Ohme Charger.
    20 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Great thanks, yes in Tewks Gloucestershire. I'll add them to my list for quotes! Was hoping to find someone local
  • mre15mre15 Forumite
    85 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I used  http://roxonelectrical.co.uk/solar.html  based in Gloucester.
    4.6kWp PV Comprising 16 x Jinko Solar Maxim Optimised 290W panels SSE Facing, Solis Hybrid Inverter and 7.2 kWh Pylontech batteries. Gloucestershire.
    20 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks for your help folks. Had a first quote of £5.6k for 4.08kwp made up of 12 JA Solar 340w panels with a solar edge. Feels reasonable but had rather hoped to sneak in under £5k. I have another couple of quotes due by the end of the week then couple more in next fortnight. Mixture of national and local so will get a good range of them
  • PetriixPetriix Forumite
    545 posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Do you have shading issues that justify the extra expense of Solar Edge?
    At over £5.5k a 4kWp system will take well over 15 years to break even.