We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Any seeds for planting right now?

Options
I'm just wondering whether there is anything by way of seed sowing I could be getting on with during the winter rather than waiting for the 'spring rush'.

I'm thinking particularly with regard to summer bedding or a perennial which might flower in its first year.

Any ideas, anyone?

Comments

• cheerfulness4
    Options
    Coleus (spelling?) can be grown indoors happily any time of year and treated as a houseplant. In the summer months you can transfer them into the borders and tubs and they look great in among the flowers.

You can sow banana plants all year too and put them out when the weather is much warmer in the summer months.
  • owtfornowt_2
    Options
    I was in Hawkins Bazaar www.hawkin.com yesterday and they have a rather nifty vegetable planner (they also do flowers). A circular disc that you rotate round and the info changes in the middle. (I'm sure the thing has a fancy name but I don't know it!)
    A handy crimbo present if I do say so myself!
  • kevinwj
    kevinwj Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    Onion, early peas, broadbeans,

If you have a frame or greenhouse and the weather isn't to cold then you could do salad crops, beetroot, even all year round cabbage could be started and transferred out side.

• Jolanta_Nowak
    Options
    kevinwj wrote: »
    Onion, early peas, broadbeans,

If you have a frame or greenhouse and the weather isn't to cold then you could do salad crops, beetroot, even all year round cabbage could be started and transferred out side.

So precisely which salad crops would you put in your hanging baskets, then?
  • kevinwj
    kevinwj Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    So precisely which salad crops would you put in your hanging baskets, then?

Lollo rosso for a start ;)

Good decorative red colour, ideal to pick the leaves as you need them because it goes limp in the fridge.

Cherry Tomato, both red and yellow variaties, fantastic fresh from the plant.

Then we could move on to Peppers / Chilli, Dwarf peas, Dwarf runner beans, French Beans

Hanging Strawberry, just right to pick as your passing.

Various Herbs

OK, not all of those are suitable for this time of year, but nor is it a comprehensive list of what can be grown in the basket

Hanging baskets don't need to be just flowers and being next to the house they will have a certain amount of frost protection and fleece can be used to increase it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure