Household income details to support a student loan application

I'm currently 'sponsoring' maintenance loan applications for two of my children in their second year of university.  Having filled in the part where I list members of the household, I was then asked to pass on details of the household income for the financial year 2018 to 2019.   

My new partner moved into the property in September 2019 and initially when I asked if his financial details were required, I was told no, but was asked to provide proof of when he moved in.

My children then received another reminder and the same conversation was had.  I sent the proof again.

On the third reminder and subsequent third conversation with student finance, I was told if I refused to ask for my partner's financial information my children would both receive the basic loan amount.

I feel it is morally wrong to have to ask my partner for this information.  Can anyone advise on the best course of action please?

Many thanks


  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,013
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's what the rules are. The amount of maintainance loan your student children receive is based on the household income of where they live. This includes the income of any live in partner of their parent. If not provided, your children will receive the minimum loan. Can your children manage on the minimum loan? In many cases the amount is not enough to even cover rent. Do your children have part time jobs whilst they're studying?   
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,622
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper

    If you’re supporting your child’s application

    Your household income is the combined income of:

    • you
    • your partner, if you live with them (even if you were not living with them during the previous tax year)
    • income your child gets from their own savings, investments or property, for example dividends or rent
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,742
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The rules are what they are, if you want your children to have the increased funding available by declaring the household income, then you need to declare it. If you feel that you don't want to ask, then you could choose for your offspring to only receive the non-means tested element.
    If morals come into it, then you have to ask yourself whether morally it would be right for you to deny your children all the funding they are entitled to.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards