PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Going ahead with house sale amid recession ?

leann91
leann91 Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post
edited 10 June 2020 at 9:52AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello
We are first time buyers and had an offer accepted on a house in March (just before coronavirus hit the UK). The house is in a very desirable area so we ended up paying quite a significant amount above the asking price. Now lockdown is over things are picking up again with the sale and I’m a bit concerned that if house prices fall we will be in negative equity. We are aiming to be in the house 5 years or longer and have a 5 year fixed mortgage. Is this something you think we should be concerned about. 

At the moment our options are:
a) go ahead and hope the housing market restores itself by the time we come to sell.
b) walk away
c) try and re negotiate to a price we’re more comfortable with (although the seller doesn’t seem too keen on this idea, they will only consider due to issues with the survey, not because of the current disruption to the market).

any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• blue_max_3
    blue_max_3 Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It seems there was strong demand for the property, so I'd say you are likely to have a desirable property whatever happens to values. With an outlook of five years plus, I don't think you would regret your purchase. Consider what you would be paying for rent during that time (if renting currently).
    The housing market is all over the place at the moment. Nobody can give you any guarantees though.
  • What area is the property in out of interest? Are you jobs secure? Could you afford the mortgage and bills on 1 salary?
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • What area is the property in out of interest? Are you jobs secure? Could you afford the mortgage and bills on 1 salary?
    The area is in South Manchester & we are confident we could afford the bills & mortgage on 1 salary. It wouldn’t be ideal and would mean we wouldn’t have much left at the end of the month but it’s doable. 

We are all a little concerned as some people have said if house prices go down we would essentially lose our deposit, but then there’s always the hope they will go back up eventually. 
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We walked away - we'd had an offer accepted in January but the sellers hadn't found anywhere before Covid and so there was no chain.  We didn't feel comfortable buying at the old price, and if the market comes down we might be able to get bigger for our money - not worried about investment/negative equity as it's going to be a long-term home for us, but if we could have parking or an extra bedroom or a better area for the same price that would be preferable.  In the meantime we're OK renting where we are so willing to wait and see.  
  • Seems strange nobody has asked what the finances are.... anecdotal evidence is largely useless to the OP.

As far as I see it, 5 years is quite a long time frame in macro terms, but also passes quite quickly when you own somewhere. And there are a wide range of possibilities that could happen around this time. Negative equity is not a problem if you want to stay in the house. But a worse case scenario would be if you are highly leveraged, have put most of your wealth into the property and prices decline, that you would not be able to remortgage. And with a wide range of interest rates possible in 5 years it could be the case that a SVR will be quite painful. Currently some typical SVRs are around 3.5-4%. If interest rates in 5 years are 2%, the SVR may rise commensurately (although it does not have to). 

Some of the last minute checks you can make, are to look at what comparable properties are currently listed for now, what the availability is like and what is selling. Your agreed price no doubt was bumped up in a time where demand for that property was high - that may not be the case now. In which case a revision downward could be on the cards, although you risk losing out.

Paying significantly above the guide price is not the norm in my view unless the property was underpriced to start with, so the least you can do is reassess where you are relative to the current market. If you post a link to the property I am sure there will be more detailed advice.

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Mickygg said:
    There could always be something round the corner such as Brexit, pandemic, Recession. For me it’s what’s affordable now and work into your calculations what’s affordable with some curve balls, which you have done saying you could afford to be on one salary.

I remember a lot of people on here pulling out when Brexit was announced a few years ago for fear of house prices falling. We have some known trolls on here constantly pushing down everyone’s throats that house prices are going to crash.

i ignored this and carried on with my purchase after the Brexit vote due to affordability, contingency plan with financial back up if needed and I wanted the house. It turned out house prices went up not down!
    Brexit hasn`t happened yet, someone with a mortgage when it happens will be affected, especially if they paid peak prices.The idea that there is "always something" doesn`t quite grasp the severity of the present situation IMO.
  • Torrel
    Torrel Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    I have just pulled out of a new build purchase. The builder wanted to exchange contracts now and the house is not to be completed for 4 months. We where paying full asking price with the builder not given us any upgrades. 

After asking for a delay or contribution they have refused. 

I feel house prices have to go down when unemployment and uncertainty is so high. We aren't looking to move quickly. But I the house was over  budget and we had to take a family loan that would mean sacrificing holidays and social life for 5 years. We are counting on prices falling and not having pressure of the family loan to have holidays.

I say ask for the discount, if you need to walk away, do it. I see it as a 10% chance to be worse off and 90% chance to be better off and get a cheaper house. But that doesn't mean the 10% won't happen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.