PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap xmas get-together

13»

Comments

• A speciality of mine is bruschetta, baguette, usually bought for 10p a loaf because you can use stale (ish) bread. Slice to 2cm slices, lay on baking trays and drizzle with olive oil and a little sea salt, bake in oven until dry.

Lovely and crispy, you don't need much to top them, some ideas:

Pesto and a quarter of cherry tomato.

Crumbled value stilton and HM red onion marmalade.

HM tuna or Smoked mackerel pate.

Smear of Value cream cheese and small sliver of value smoked salmon.

Very very cheap and tasty, these fly off the plates.

Non alcoholic punch for drink.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • My husband had some friends round a couple of weeks ago to watch the footie. I made a sweet and sour pork with rice and some baked potatoes. Pork is cheaper than some meats and you can make sweet and sour stretch with veggetables and pineapple and the rice and potatoes dont cost much.
    Life is too short to waste a minute of it complaining about bad luck. Find joy in the simple things, show your love for those around you and be grateful for all that you have. :)
  • JenniO
    JenniO Posts: 547 Forumite
    BABYBIO - why not buy a silver tin platter and do a simple meat and cheese platter? It can go in fridge and doesn't need heating. I'm thinking ham, salami slices etc and cheese slices? Maybe some cherry tomatoes in the middle. HTH.

Jen
  • Another great way of serving cheap cocktail sausages is to mix tomato ketchup with sweet chilli sauce and baste the sausages with it - pop them in the oven for 20 minutes and they are delicious - I couldn't stop eating them and I don't even like sausages:rotfl:
    Nice to save.
  • Why not have a left over party, on the 27/28 or 29 December? You could ask everyone to bring some of the turkey/cheese/pate/nibbles etc still taking up room in their fridges & you supply breadcakes, salad, etc to go with it!
    Or a bring your own cocktail party where each person brings that luminous bottle of liqueur thats been sitting in the cupboard since the summer!
  • When I was a student and having a party I used to do hot dogs, the buns to go with them, fried onions followed by bags of donuts. Not very healthy or home made I know, but it was a cheap way of feeding lots of people. You could theme it as an american meal (not that I am suggesting this is what American food is usually like!) and if you got a few extra bits like chilli sauce, dorito style things etc it would be plenty. The other advantage is that other than the onions there is very little preperation.

DFW nerd no = 281 (graduate)

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    I second (or third) the pizza suggestion you can make these up in advance really cheaply then freeze on the tray made up.You can then cook them from frozen and serve hot or cold.I usally make a large square/oblong one so its easier to cut into fingers for buffets :D
    Those posh cheese twist things can be made easily with a pack of puff pastry rolled out cut into strips,twisted then sprinkled with cheese and sesame seeds
    Mini quiches are dead easy too just make up from a fullsize recipe then bake in 12cup tins
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure