PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheap xmas get-together

Comments

• smiler34
    smiler34 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Hi all, thanks for the advice. Decided I will do a chilli and then do a few of the nibbles you suggested on the side. Really liked the bucks fizz idea but will defnitely ask people to bring some drink of their own.
    Thanks again xx
    Mummy to two beautiful girls and one gorgeous boy.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    sandy2 wrote: »
    Turkey curry.......................

noooo that's for most weeks in January! It's too early!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • Don't wish to hijack this thread in any way but I am also looking for inspiration for something similar, around 12 people for low cost nibbles.
    The hot buffet idea wouldn't be suitable as lack of space to sit down etc,
    so needs to be a finger buffet...
    Any ideas gratefully received...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ritz biscuits - topped with squeezey cheese, which comes in several flavours these days
    Devilled eggs - hard boil eggs, cut in half, spoon out the yolks and mix them with mayonnaise (or salad cream) and curry powder, spoon it back into the holes left by the yolks (or pipe if you're posh)
    Cheese straws - copy recipe above but fold it over, flatten it, cut it into strips and twist each one (rather than turning it into a sausage shape)
    pineapple/cheese on sticks
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Potato wedges - no need for flavourings, just keep it simple - then for the dips for those, just look at the bottles of sauce in the supermarket. Perhaps a sweet chilli sauce and a tomato/chilli sauce. No need to get pricey jars of dips.
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    smiler34 wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the advice. Decided I will do a chilli and then do a few of the nibbles you suggested on the side. Really liked the bucks fizz idea but will defnitely ask people to bring some drink of their own.
    Thanks again xx

Smiler, I forgot to say (if you do the cheesy things) that the onions must be thoroughly drained after cooking. Pat dry with kitchen paper. And, if you do trifles, the juice from the orange pieces can be poured over the sponges as it soaks in.
  • shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    We have in-laws coming over on Boxing day. This year I am determined not to spend a fortune so I shall be dishing up:-

Gammon ham in Coke (will have this for tea xmas eve so rest carved for boxing day)
    Sliced turkey (again left over from xmas day)
    Coronation turkey (mayo, curry powder and chopped turkey)
    Egg Mayo and/or Tuna mayo

So thats all stuff i have in anyway, just rolls for them to go in.

Will make sausage rolls, mini pizzas, cheese & pineapple (littles like this), sausages on sticks (got some in freezer DH does not like so gets rid of them - hehe). Pickled onions, pickle, crisps etc that we will have in anyway.

I will also make profitteroles, lemon cheesecake and maybe a fruit salad. Again will have to just buy cream for these as will have rest of stuff in. Will also have a supply of HM mince pies and biccies, shortbread.

Previous years I have done baked spuds and salad and they have just left it so not gonna bother this year, stick of throwing stuff away.

This will be for 6 adults and 2 kids.

HTH
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    here is another easy one: take a pack (or more) of (value) chicken drumsticks, sprinkle them with chicken seasoning and bake in roasting tin or on baking sheet in oven. this can be done the day before. arrange them on a plate, a bowl of some sauce or chutney on the side (optional) and serve cold as finger food. it may sound a very unexciting treat, but whenever i put these on a buffet table, they always gets eaten till the very last one!
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Frags
    Frags Posts: 111 Forumite
    Another on eis cheap cocktail sausages and you can baist them with things you have in the cupboard, olive oil, honey and a bit of worcester sauce works well, or something along those lines. Makes them taste really nice and sausages are usually cheap!
  • Seems like lots of people are in a similar pickle to me:

We're throwing a small do for our volunteers (~30) at the place where I work, 5-7pm on Friday. Since they give us lots of time and effort I'd like to give them nice home-cooked food rather than supermarket junk (plus we're on a tight budget)

However: I'm at work all day on Friday so stuff pretty much needs to be able to come in with me in the morning and sit in a fridge all day (no oven at work)

And: I have to go to a colleagues leaving dinner on Thursday night so not much time to cook then

So: anything I can cook and freeze/chill from Wednesday that would be good to serve cold on Friday evening? Is this just asking too much? I might be able to come in bit late on Friday but big meetings for the rest of the day so there's not much slack.

Thank you! BB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport