Redundancy issues

Hello
Where I worked until 10 working days ago a number of people had been furloughed , then 6 where made redundant whilst the rest stayed on furlough. I was one of the ones kept on at work until another wave of furloughs came about 4 initially ( end of working day ) 1 end of week and me when I finished a particular job , now 10 days later they've asked me to come for a chat about " alternative roles within the company due to current and forecast production needs " and the reason I'm here now is I don't trust the company\owner one little bit and I'm not sure what they are planning until I've had my meeting but just looking around this site I came across something saying "remember it's not you that's made redundant it's your job " and in my context "my job " ( I say "my job " because although my job title is machine operative ,I have solely worked in one section for over 10 years and through lowering work volumes and retirements I'm the last man standing so it's perceived as "my job ") although slow up to October there is no reason to suggest work will then continue on a normal ish level for one man ( me ) but the company may have other plans .
Do I have any rights with regards to me\my job being made redundant even though there will be work to do in the not to distant future. 
Sorry for going on to long but I'm trying to give as.much information as I can .

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,452
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You all all the normal rights of your contract of employment plus redundancy rules.
    Your job is not redundant if there is still work to do.
    Sorry, I find your OP a little confusing.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It is up to them to structure the work how they want. As you said technically it is the job made redundant not the person. Even though there is work in the future they can re-roll it into another job.  So somebody else does it. If they don't expect work to pick up till say October they may find it cheaper to make you redundant now and re-employ someone when the work picks up. 
    So to me with what you are saying about the chat they are probably getting rid of the position.  Obviously if other people are staying on in the roll then who stays and who goes need to be done fairly, but if everybody goes i.e. shutting down the entire department then all they really need to do is offer you any suitable alternative if there is any. 
  • teabeagea
    teabeagea Posts: 30
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry grump what have I confused you with. 

The department won't be going as such as there will be work in the future , I have no doubt of that. It's just what they plan on doing as I say it's been "my job" for over 10 years and there will be work in the long run and if they organised themselves properly it should be a one man job ( normally me ) maybe a little help when it gets busy sometimes. So the department will still be operational with me or someone else , but as I say " I am the department" normally
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I guess a chat about alternative role would be preferable to a chat about redundancy?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    teabeagea said:
    Sorry grump what have I confused you with. 

The department won't be going as such as there will be work in the future , I have no doubt of that. It's just what they plan on doing as I say it's been "my job" for over 10 years and there will be work in the long run and if they organised themselves properly it should be a one man job ( normally me ) maybe a little help when it gets busy sometimes. So the department will still be operational with me or someone else , but as I say " I am the department" normally
    You answered your own question if they are basically shutting the department down they can make you redundant does not matter if there is work in the future. But it sounds like they know that in the future there will be work which is why they want a chat about alternative role, i.e. something for you to do in the meantime. Companies very rarely plan for the next week or two but for the next 6 months and beyond. 
  • teabeagea
    teabeagea Posts: 30
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    after my chat they have concluded that due to lower volumes of the jobs that I do it not longer requires a full time employee, as such rather then keep me full time by doing other things the options left are 2 days a week or redundancy . I'm they have looked at every possibility that suits them and tied things in a nice little bow from there point of view and as such very difficult to argue from mine but it still stings a bit , especially when then have just rehired a  ( nice ) guy who retired at 60 6 months ago only to come back and if anything like the work he used to do I find it hard to see the need for him as the machines he operates make components for the same jobs as me ,so if my lower volumes results in my lower hours why employ him. But thats just me venting a little and I'm sure as I say above could tie it in a wonderful little bow to suit them . But what will be will be , not much I can do.  
    thanks for the replies 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure