Secondment & Redundancy

I was due to be made redundant this week but was told last week that I had secured a 9 month secondment in a different part of the business. I was interviewed for it a few weeks ago. 
With what is happening in the world at the moment I have accepted and are waiting for the formal agreement that my enhanced redundancy payment will be protected and paid at the end of the secondment which has been verbally agreed. 
It a job that I’ve not really done before in a different part of the business so I’m wondering whether I could ask for some type of break clause if things aren’t working out?

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can ask, get it in writing. To be honest though unless it really is that bad 9 months is not that long. I assume you partly know what the job is and if you are suitable for it or not, even if you do not know how to do the job.  
  • winter02
    winter02 Posts: 29
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes that’s fair enough. I have a basic idea of the job and will be a good opportunity for learning. Just being cautious really. Thanks. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,445
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I understand that if you take a different role as an alternative to redundancy, then both parties have a 4-week trial period to see if it works out and if it does not then the redundancy goes back to whatever terms the redundancy was.
    I doubt you could have the enhanced redundancy protected beyond that.
    If you don't trial the alternative role, you may loose the right to redundancy as you turned down a viable alternative.
    If you got a job for 9 months, that seems pretty good right now.  You might really enjoy it and come out a winner at the end of the process. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback