17 replies 1.3K views
2»

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANNOYED1 said:
    Ive had private ticket wardens pounce on my car for not displaying a blue badge when ive just parked up and gone to shop mobility to get a scooter and to get the parking permit to display in the car. This was before i had a blue badge. As you can use a shop mobility permit to display in the car. This car parked is free to use but they once pounce on disabled cars.
    This is no use for you now, as you have your BB, but for anyone else in this situation, we have customer parking permits at work which people have to collect from the office. I have given our regulars a notice to put in the car which says "I am either collecting or returning a permit to ..." - so in your situation I'd have typed up a note saying "I have gone to Shop Mobility to collect a scooter and a permit" and left that on show. 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • hb2hb2 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I also had a situation with a local shop recently. They have created a -zig-zag' queuing facility (it takes up a lot of the disabled parking spaces, but I understand it would have been difficult for them to do otherwise) that means walking quite a bit before getting into the store. My OH did the queuing and I asked if they would let me through to join him once he got to the front, as walking is difficult for me (I walk with 1 crutch). The people 'controlling' the queue flatly refused to let me do this, even though they were not stopping able-bodied people from ducking under the tape separating the lines. We turned round, got back into the car and went elsewhere.

I eventually decided against contacting head office as I expect I would just have got meaningless platitudes in return. However, I used to shop there quite a lot, as they have a wide variety of goods, but have gone elsewhere since then.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • edited 16 June 2020 at 8:18PM
    ANNOYED1ANNOYED1 Forumite
    56 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2020 at 8:18PM
    hb2 said:
    I also had a situation with a local shop recently. They have created a -zig-zag' queuing facility (it takes up a lot of the disabled parking spaces, but I understand it would have been difficult for them to do otherwise) that means walking quite a bit before getting into the store. My OH did the queuing and I asked if they would let me through to join him once he got to the front, as walking is difficult for me (I walk with 1 crutch). The people 'controlling' the queue flatly refused to let me do this, even though they were not stopping able-bodied people from ducking under the tape separating the lines. We turned round, got back into the car and went elsewhere.

I eventually decided against contacting head office as I expect I would just have got meaningless platitudes in return. However, I used to shop there quite a lot, as they have a wide variety of goods, but have gone elsewhere since then.
    This would come under reasonable adjustment under the equality act and the shop has acted unlawfully.
    I have found out that there is a class action lawsuit happening against retailers that have failed to provide reasonable adjustments for disabled people due to the coronavirus.  

The bit about reasonable adjustments is that would if cause you a significant disadvantage against someone who is not disabled.
    For example making you queue when you cant stand in the queue due to disability would be a case where reasonable adjustments have to be made. As if the queuing policy makes it impossible for you to shop there than the retailer has to make reasonable adjustments.
    I cant stand in the queue for a long time and therefore i ask to be let in. 
    You have a witness for what happened to you so you should complain to head office.
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most supermarkets supermarkets have made the adjustment of providing a special hour for disabled people to shop.

By your argument if twenty disabled people turned up and expected to go to front of the queue I could have to long wait To get in.
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
     By asking for proof, the employee was making it clear they considered some people would lie about being disabled in order to skip the queue.  I very much fear they were right.  I have no idea if such dishonesty would be great enough to need combatting or accept as letting anyone who wants to get to the front that badly do so.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Pok3monPok3mon Forumite
    163 Posts
    100 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary
    TBF nobody like to queue and this is here to stay. Shops near to me have stopped the jumping of queues at it was so many doing it. They now make a mental note of the person you was behind and let you wait in the car until that place. Seems like a very fair system.
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ANNOYED1 said:

Ive had private ticket wardens pounce on my car for not displaying a blue badge when ive just parked up and gone to shop mobility to get a scooter and to get the parking permit to display in the car. This was before i had a blue badge. As you can use a shop mobility permit to display in the car. This car parked is free to use but they once pounce on disabled cars.
    They are trying to protect the bays for legitimate BB holders//disabled drivers, so are trying to help you, would you prefer they not check or challenge any drivers or vehicles not displaying a permit?
    AFDs 2013-313, 2014-289, 2015-321, 2016-276, 2017-276, 2018-240, 2019-285, 2020-267, 2021- 210 to end of August
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1833.53/£1750, 2021 - £3246.83/£1750