Made redundant without starting new job

I left my previous job on 24th March, was starting my new job on 31st March. Couldnt be furloughed because  of timing,  on Universal Credit,  have now been informed my new company cannot employ me in good faith as they are making redundancies, even though i have a contract , what are my options .Any help would be appreciated 

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No options, sorry. Basically you are unemployed now. 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Except looking for another job and carrying on claiming benefits not much. As they say they are making redundancies so they can't employ you.  
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,393
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could ask the old employer if you can go back.

You could ask the new employer if they can make an ex-gratia payment of any kind.

You could ask the new employer to actually give you a letter saying your position is redundant.  That will mean you can claim JSA as, without it, Job Centre may deem that you made yourself intentionally unemployed.

Sadly, you are now unemployed and need to look for new employment.
  • I did ask my old employer to re employ me then put me on furlough , they refused. Have been able to claim universal credit luckily , am i not entitled to anything from new employer , holiday pay etc ...i have not received anything in writing as of yet , except my contract i got in march 
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    eamon2909 said:
    I did ask my old employer to re employ me then put me on furlough , they refused. Have been able to claim universal credit luckily , am i not entitled to anything from new employer , holiday pay etc ...i have not received anything in writing as of yet , except my contract i got in march 
    You havent worked for them, so why would you be due anything? (maybe notice pay if you really pushed it, as it might be cheaper to pay you off than see inside a court room)
  • You still accrue holiday pay etc ...just got bitter taste to be honest 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Although your old employer refused to put you back on furlough, do they need you to actually do work? if they are busy they might accept you back temporary. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,393
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did the contract with the new job have a start date in?  When did the offer get withdrawn?  Had you accepted before the offer was withdrawn?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback