New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

TV license

3 replies 91 views
LouisecbattLouisecbatt Forumite
5 posts
First Anniversary
Hi, 
I brought a house in January and we are currently renovating the property so there are no TVs in the house. TV licensing have been relentless with their letters (which are quite threatening) telling us the implications if we do not pay. However I've read on this site that you do not have to pay the tv licensing fee if you do not watch BBC, live tv or BBC iplayer. This has made us rethink our decision to pay for a tv license because we often refuse to watch BBC and hardly watch live tv. We spend more time watching Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. If there is anyone else who is in the situation or doesn't pay tv license let me know. I'm confused about how we prove that BBC or live tv is not being viewed. Thanks!

Replies

• edited 8 June at 12:05PM
    p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 June at 12:05PM
    I just went on to the TV licencing website and declared that I didn;t need one - it gives you a choice fo reasons
    I heard nothing more from them for a few years - when they mailed to ask that I went in to confirm that I still didn't need one.
  • Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, even if you declare you don't need a licence they will still send you letters every year or two.  Their reasoning for this is that you might move so they need to check periodically.
    As far as needing a licence is concerned, you don't NEED to prove anything.  TVL might act as if you're guilty but fortunately we're still innocent in this country unless proved otherwise, so it's up to THEM to prove you need one and to do this they need to catch you watching BBC content or other live TV.  The old offence of 'having the capability to watch' went out the window with the advent of digital streaming because everyone with a smartphone, PC, laptop, tablet now has the 'capability' to view live TV, so that alone is no proof that you 'need' a TV licence.
    TVL might have a difficult job but their tactics are a disgrace. I've had their standard letters.  First warning me, then threatening to visit me to take a statement 'under caution', then apparently passing my 'case' to their local enforcement office.  Nobody ever turned up! 
    The BBC licence will be reviewed over the next few years in the run-up to the BBC's current charter expiring in 2027 and the current government have already been looking at de-criminalising licence offences, so we can expect significant changes in due course.

• melanikokomelanikoko Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    TVL might act as if you're guilty but fortunately we're still innocent in this country unless proved otherwise, so it's up to THEM to prove you need one and to do this they need to catch you watching BBC content or other live TV