HELP! Breaking a HP agreement?

45012168 Posts: 62 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi 
What are my rights?
I purchased a used Audi from a finance company and only drove it for about a month and a half until lockdown in March. Since then only been driving for essential journeys.

I have had problems with all USB ports not working, mmi cutting out and restarting itself, brakes squeaking, the spring possibly broken now. 

I feel the car is not fit for purpose and if this continues then il be left paying a hefty bill very regularly once the 6 month warranty expires. 

I can’t even get a hold of the warranty company due to lockdown I’m not sure if garages are yet open which means I could potentially be left without a car to drive.

I have already emailed and explained everything to the finance company who have referred me to the warranty company but my main concern at this point is that I am not happy with all these problems occurring in such a short space of time.

Could I possibly return the car and get out of this HP agreement with them?

Thank you.

Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Short answer. No.

None of your issues are major faults and could be fixed. You need to give the manufacturer a chance to fix them before you can process a rejection. Any rejection would have to be through the finance company as they are the legal owner.

Is the car from a Audi dealer, or is it from a independent dealer with a third party warranty? You need to log the issues now, so that they can be addressed even after the warranty period has expired. USB ports and the MMI can be fixed and squeaking brakes are common and unlikely covered by any warranty as it's a wear and tear item. Same with the spring. But what do you mean 'the spring is possibly broken'?
    edited 6 June 2020 at 11:43PM
    I understand. I guess I feel a little disheartened that these problems have occurred during a period of 1.5 months of having the car. At the point of sale I was told the car was mechanically perfect so to experience squeaking brakes so soon suggests there may have been a pre existing problem otherwise.

The front tyre is touching the wheel arch so I have been advised it is most likely a broken spring. I noticed this when I went to drive my car today. 
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    45012168 said:
    I understand. I guess I feel a little disheartened that these problems have occurred during a period of 1.5 months of having the car. At the point of sale I was told the car was mechanically perfect so to experience squeaking brakes so soon suggests there may have been a pre existing problem otherwise.

The front tyre is touching the wheel arch so I have been advised it is most likely a broken spring. I noticed this when I went to drive my car today. 
    What is the age and mileage of the car?

Again was it a approved used Audi from a main dealer, or just a independent garage?
  • MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    If the car has been stood for a long period, that being measured in days, not months, then squeaking brakes will happen even on a brand new car. You can get it happening on a car that's been stood unused for a several days if it's been raining because brake discs are made of ferrous metal and brake pads have metal particles in them so they rust when they get wet and are exposed to air.
    DrEskimo said:
    45012168 said:

What is the age and mileage of the car?

Again was it a approved used Audi from a main dealer, or just a independent garage?
    Its a 2015 Audi A6 on about 76000 miles. Independent dealer. 
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 June 2020 at 1:36PM
    A spring can go any time, you have to admit. How can you prove that you didn't fly over a speed bump too fast and break it? The wheel wasn't touching the wheelarch when you bought it I assume. Wear and tear, and you got unlucky. The other issues aren't big enough for rejection IMO, but you can see what they can do about them.
    The job got done by the warranty company. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback