Annual Travel Insurance Refund

Options
Our annual travel insurance policy with Saga states no refund for cancellation but I hear some companies are being more flexible about this. Has anyone had any luck in getting a pro rate refund - or any recompense at all?

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No - you buy insurance to protect against unforeseen circumstances.
    You could have had a holiday booked from last year due to be taken this year - you would be covered.
    It is not the insurance company's fault that you cannot travel at the moment.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it depends on the Ts &Cs of the insurance company involved but also how they're choosing to interpret them. Mine says they do provide pro rata refunds but have interpreted this as from the date of you telling  them you can't travel. As I only spoke to them last week (about renewal from this week) they'll give me a week's refund!! They said that had I called them in March to tell them I couldn't travel because of FO advice I'd have had 3 months refund. The fact that this date was widely known makes no difference. 
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman said:
    I think it depends on the Ts &Cs of the insurance company involved but also how they're choosing to interpret them. Mine says they do provide pro rata refunds but have interpreted this as from the date of you telling  them you can't travel. As I only spoke to them last week (about renewal from this week) they'll give me a week's refund!! They said that had I called them in March to tell them I couldn't travel because of FO advice I'd have had 3 months refund. The fact that this date was widely known makes no difference. 
    Yes, but some people still had to travel - so I understand their standpoint.
    I was meant to be travelling for work, and it looked like it was going ahead in April until the very last second. 

They'd only know there was no risk to the policy if they were told in advance - like when you sell a car, and inform the insurance company as the event of you selling the car happens. It's then no longer a risk to them.
    You can't just call them 3 months later and casually tell them it was sold in March. 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Options
    "Mine says they do provide pro rata refunds but have interpreted this as from the date of you telling  them you can't travel"
    Sounds like an entirely logical and reasonable position to take.
  • Albert5pen
    Options
    swinstan said:
    Our annual travel insurance policy with Saga states no refund for cancellation but I hear some companies are being more flexible about this. Has anyone had any luck in getting a pro rate refund - or any recompense at all?
    We too have annual  travel insurance with SAGA £600 plus.  We are both in our early 80's one of us with some medical issues.  FCO advises against any foreseeable travel for us.  Communication with SAGA has been very poor, us having requested a pro/rata refund or a 6 month extension, as our policy runs till October.  No joy so far and can't get to speak to anyone, phone just cuts out.  Not good enough!!  We had a river cruise booked for April this year (with SAGA) which obviously was cancelled.  Money eventually refunded.  So basically we have paid out £300 for 6 months when we can't go anywhere.  Martin is suggesting the Ombudsman on the show last night.  How do I do that cos I'm quite determined to try for a refund/  SAGA are supposed to be specifically for the over 50's......?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you have already claimed on the policy I doubt you can claim any refund
  • swinstan
    swinstan Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't made any claim whatsoever. But we did travel on the policy shortly after taking out the years insurance. As soon as we were back, the lock down started. Effectively we have paid for 10 months insurance we cannot use. Saga said, because we had traveled on the policy once, even without any claim, we were not entitled to any refund. To be fair, it does say in the policy, no pro rata refunds but under the circumstances, it hardly seems fair. If anyone has any luck with Saga, please let me know. Thanks
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    sheramber said:
    If you have already claimed on the policy I doubt you can claim any refund
    They haven't claimed on the insurance.  Saga had to refund the cost of a holiday because it was cancelled.

• camedown
    camedown Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My husband and I have separate annual travel insurance which commenced in February 2020. We had 3 trips booked 2 of which have been cancelled - 1 has been refunded by Travel agent and the other company has gone bust so we are waiting for CAA refund. The other one we have re-booked for April 2021. We haven't claimed on the policies or travelled - should we ask for a pro-rata refund for the 7 months from now?
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    No. Your policies are currently covering you for any cancellation of your April 2021 booking until their expiry date.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback