Forum Home» Phones & TV

VM landline number not transferred and now lost - What would be reasonable compensation?

New Post Advanced Search

VM landline number not transferred and now lost - What would be reasonable compensation?

6 replies 122 views
AnonAnon Forumite
14.5K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭✭
When ordering our new broadband and landline service with Virgin Media, we requested that the landline number was transferred.  This was confirmed before installation and according to their normal process should transfer within 10 days of the service going live, but due to errors in their processing it has not happened and the number has now been lost (the original service tied to the number ended when the new service started).
What would be a reasonable amount of compensation in these circumstances please?
Many thanks

Replies

• twhitehousescattwhitehousescat Forumite
    5.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    a gazillilon pounds 
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many people/businesses/other contacts will you need to advise of your new landline number? How long will that take.

X hours times £19 per hour (litigant in person rate) equals what you could ask for in compensation. In reality ... a month's free service.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • twhitehousescattwhitehousescat Forumite
    5.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    the op never owned the number in the first place 
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
  • AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the helpful response DoaM. 

It would be interesting to know if others have received compensation in these circumstances and how much, though no doubt it will be account credit, which is expected and fine. 

I'm sorry twhitehousecat, what relevance is it that I don't "own" the number? It was confirmed it would be transferred, it hasn't been. If it wasn't going to be, we would not have switched as our number was important to us, or made arrangements for the transition. And although you say we may not own the number, we have a right under OfCom guidelines to keep a number when we transfer services: (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-protections-stamp-out-switching-frustrations).
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anon said:
    It would be interesting to know if others have received compensation in these circumstances and how much, though no doubt it will be account credit, which is expected and fine.
    Plusnet posted me a cheque ... think they gave me about a hundred quid ... and BT got my number back!
    Search my posts from New year 2019 for details
  • dcfc67dcfc67 Forumite
    142 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    I had the same issue, when installed VM engineer gave me a new phone number. I explained that I asked to transfer number. He said it happens all the time with VM.

I ended up ringing my current supplier straight away as number was still live up until the end of the day and kept the landline/broadband service so essentially double paying.

VM agreed to pay these charges whilst they ported number to them.

VM also messed up the TV package I agreed to sign up to so I cancelled everything within the 14 days cooling off period and sorted out a deal with the provider I was with previously at a better price.

Shocking customer services, 0/10 for those staff who read from a script in the Philippines. You get more sense talking to a brick wall.
    Regarding compensation i would request that they remove the landline/broadband part of you bill for 6 months as you have suffered material detriment. Explain  to them how much time and money its cost you to contact everyone who had access to you previous phone number.

if not go to arbitration and threaten them with CISAS