Redundancy. Tax reclaim

Hi. I was made redundant last June and paid higher rate tax. I've taken a break since then. Does anyone know if my income tax overpayment will be automatically sent to me. Also, I've been PAYE all my life and never had to do a tax return as company did them. Do I have to do one myself for 19/20. Thanks in advance 


  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite if you think you paid too much tax. 

  • Yes lookee at this. Says to ring them but I was told by someone it was automatic. Conscious that they are busy with furlough. I'll try calling 
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you were in receipt of any benefits in kind provided by your former employer then you will need to wait until they have provided your form P11D to both you and HMRC.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,384
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You should now have the P11D from your previous employer plus anything else relating to income and tax for the last TY.
    It's probably as easy as anything else to just do a tax return given the tax year end has passed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards