I have a few questions related to marriage

Hey folks.
Myself and my fiance are trying to find the answers to a few of our questions if at all possible. I live in the UK and my fiance lives in the US. We have been able to get basic answers to most things other than the specifics we'd really like to know. The virus has been an absolute pain as you all know and we just want to permanently be able to live together whether it be the UK or the US. 
Our plan at the moment is when the ban is lifted that I travel to the US and we get married in Vegas. Whatever comes round first, we want her to come to the UK for 6 months first to stay with me for a little.
If we got both these things done would we be able to get her spouse UK visa started right away after she's gone back to the states? And would the fact that she's been in the UK 6 months prior affect this in any way? I'm worried that there's only a maximum stay in the UK and would impact the process in some form.
Would us getting married in the States on my ESTA ruin my chances later on down the line of moving out there if we decided that might be the better option? Or would I just have to go down the K1 visa route?
At this present moment in time, does anyone know which route would be easier and quicker to take?

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Might be a good idea to make an enquiry with an immigrant lawyer. I have seen people make little mistakes that have caused visas to be refused / delayed so better be safe than accidentally cause yourself a problem.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 June 2020 at 8:11PM
    I think the main difficulty you will have is trying to convince the entry clearance officer that your fiance is a temporary visitor who intends to leave the UK at the end of her stay. I personally think that your fiance will have to get a family settlement visa prior to travelling to the UK even if it does turn out that you both end up living in the USA after 6 months.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You have not said what either of your citizenship status is and how you met, got engaged and yet live in seperate countries.
    Initially you should be looking into both counties embassy websites to see if the information there helps.
    Covid 19 and quarantine will be against you at the moment,
    Come back to the forum when you have done some more research.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The rules can change at anytime and the fees are very high. A few hundred £ spent talking to an immigration lawyer could be money well spent before you get to far down the road.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Friend of mine did this with a lady in the USA,he used an immigration lawyer,cost were £10,000.
    Also remember not all states have the same rules.The tough point about living in the USA is medical insurance,does your boyfriends company cover both of you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback