PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Areas to live around Heaton Mersey/Cheadle/East Didsbury

Options
Hi there,

I am looking for a nice area to live within 30 minutes walk to the Heaton Mersey area where I will be working or on a good tram link to East Didsbury as my work is about a 15 minute walk from there. I have no knowledge of South Manchester and am looking for advice on where would be best to live. Ideally I am looking to rent a 2 bed house with a garden. I have been looking at Cheadle but it seems the transport links are not good, the closer you get to Stockport the more questions seem to pop up about the area in terms of safety and with no knowledge of the area it is difficult to understand if there are reasonable concerns to have or if it would be a fine place to live. 

Budget is around £900/month. 

Many thanks for any advice that can be shared,
G

Comments

• brett19852010
    brett19852010 Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    As someone who lives closer to Stockport, your safety concerns are probably unfounded for the most part. Rents in edgeley are 700 for a two bed which attracts professionals. Some localities are very desirable and others obviously not so. Although the likes of the places you describe are well thought of there is at least a feeling that well off areas are targeted for domestic burglary etc. This would not be a reason to decline living there but it shows that nowhere is immune to crime.
  • NQManchester
    NQManchester Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All of the four Heatons are nice but especially Heaton Moor (Mersey, Chapel and Norris are the others, Norris has some rougher areas).
    West and East Didsbury on the tram line are also very nice but expensive. 
    It depends what time you’re commuting but the traffic getting across from the other side of the M60 (ie Stockport) on a bus might be slow going. 
  • ggray_001
    Options
    Thanks NQManchester and brett19852010 for your advice. very helpful! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback