Flights available but no insurance is currently valid

boatman
boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Plenty of flights now available but nearly all policies are useless because until the government lift their guidance on no travel, you are throwing money away.
I would assume the insurance will become valid again once the government lift their ban on all but essential travel, but will the companies do it straight away or will there be a few days delay?

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not really.  Its a risk you take.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    Or unless you have annual travel insurance that is still valid
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • boatman
    Ganga said:
    Or unless you have annual travel insurance that is still valid
    I know Nationwide FlexPlus insurance has removed any protection for Covid-19 because the government have said only essential travel. Which means any flights booked or holiday booked and taken now have no cover if you get covid-19

• Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 796 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yet a condition of travel is that you must have travel insurance.  Would love to see advice from Martin on this. 
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2020 at 1:53PM
    Arthurian said:
    Yet a condition of travel is that you must have travel insurance.  Would love to see advice from Martin on this. 
    A condition stated by whom? 
    It might be written into the terms and conditions of some holiday companies but there is nothing in any legislation that makes it a legal requirement to have valid insurance before any travel.
  • boatman
    I'm just surprised that there must be thousands merrily booking tickets with seemingly no idea that they might be throwing away money..
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2020 at 11:19AM
    Why do you say that people are 'throwing away' money on purchase of flights, just because travel insurance may not be available..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    My travel insurance is valid for anything I booked before 23 March.
    I wish people wouldn't post blanket statements.
    There is also a difference between having insurance cover for issues that happen when abroad (whether medical/ delays/ covid19 related or not) and having insurance for cancellation.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    Arthurian said:
    No, it's not - unless set out by your specific travel company. I've travelled for many years without any. 
  • Arthurian
    Arthurian Posts: 796 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I did not realise it was possible to travel without insurance - I usually book packages which require it.  You learn a lot at MSE.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback