Replacement for slow chromebook

My wife will not be working from home. She has a Toshiba CB30-B-104 which we inherited but its soooo slow !

So..in the ideal world she wants a laptop or tablet which is light and under £400. All she will be doing is Web browsing, Office 365, Facebook, Skype etc

She has problems with her wrists so it need to be light and the reason she has though about say an Ipad pro is that she can pick it up and browse in bed...One other priority due to poor sight is the brightness. The chromebook is just about ok but it will have to be at leats as good
Happy to look at refurbished , 2nd hand

any advice ?

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The chromebook I have is the fastest laptop I have ever had and I have also had macbook, windows laptop, and linux.

Have you tried power washing the chromebook?

You should decide what you want, either a laptop or a tablet. They both have their uses so it depends what will be done with them.
  • smallzoo2
    smallzoo2 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    thanks...well I dont know what yours is but the toshiba has been 'cleaned' many times and is very slow. I have a business mac and laptop both over 5 years old and they wipe the floor with the chromebook
  • To me, the clue is contained in your post where you refer to Office 365.
    If your wife is working on/with excel spreadsheets, there is no way would I use a tablet for that sort of work. You can get away with it if the spreadsheets are not too complicated, but otherwise its a real pain (IMO). Similarly working with word documents, particularly longer documents can be annoyingly awkward if you are doing formatting to achieve a polished finish.
    Laptop would be the way forward in my view given the choices in your post.
  • smallzoo2
    smallzoo2 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I should qualify office 365 sorry... she only uses Outlook to read and write emails..
  • In that case I personally would not look any further than an iPad. They are just so versatile and can be easily linked via Bluetooth to a separate keyboard if that is a preference.
    For your financial budget of £400, you could probably get an older refurbished version with a 12 month warranty and say 64 or 128 GB storage if needed, from the Apple shop.
  • I got a 2018 refurbished iPad from Apple for £270. It is like new and much better than equivalent priced laptop or Chromebook unless you need to do office work. 
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 June 2020 at 8:28AM
    smallzoo2 said:
    My wife will now be working from home.

All she will be doing is Web browsing, Outlook email, Facebook, Skype etc
    (Corrected what I think was a typo, and added the clarification). I'm curious as to what sort of work she does if those are the only apps she really needs to use.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback