Anyone suddenly been plagued with international robocalls to mobiles? Call Blocker recommendations?

LucianH
LucianH Posts: 445 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 3 June 2020 at 1:06PM in Techie Stuff
As the title says, I be interested to know if others have started to receive international robocalls to their mobiles over the last couple of days.  I have not had these before but, as of yesterday, I’ve received dozens of these calls where the phone rings for a second or two and then the call is terminated (I’ve had 10 in the last hour).  The calls have had county codes for Burundi, Fiji, and Nauru and, even when they are from the same country, they all have different numbers.

I’m wondering if it possible that my number has suddenly appeared on some hacked/stolen database that has hit the open market?   If it was purely random number generators (that I suppose many of these spammers may be using) then I find it unlikely that I would be inundated with so many in such a short space of time.  If it is a stolen/hacked database, I sure would like to know whose site has been hacked – an impossible thing to find out no doubt.

[By the way, just received another one from Nauru! :( - more alarmingly though this one continued to ring!]

I'm with Virgin Mobile but, from what I can see they, don't seem to have any services to block such calls.  I have a Samsung S10e and have discovered that, unfortunately, the call blocker only works for exact numbers (you cannot use wildcards of have “starts with” type criteria) so I’m now on the hunt for a simple call blocker apps that can block country codes or even all overseas calls.

Has anybody got any experience any simple call blockers?  If so, could you let me know which ones truly block the calls without the phone ringing (the reason I ask is because I’ve read that one of the popular ones “Mr. Number” still let's calls ring through once which rather defeats the object of the exercise).  I'd also like to know if blocked calls are sent to voicemail - which I don't want to happen (I just want the call rejected completely).  And, finally, do they log blocked calls so I can see how many calls I'm getting - if this continues, then I may be forced to change number.as a last resort.
Never let it get you down... unless it really is as bad as it seems.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback