PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

To fridge or not to fridge, that is the question

I've read various things about whether you should store potatoes in the fridge or not, some saying it is harmful, but in this weather they go off quite quickly for someone who lives alone, as they don't get used up as quickly.  I think they need to last 6 to 8 weeks.  I've tried storing them in  a cool (not that cool at the moment) place and out of direct sunlight, but they still go off quickly in this weather.
I did try an experiment at easter, I bought 2 bags of lidl small potatoes, put one in the fridge, one in the usual place, the difference was massive for longevity.

So, I suppose I am asking is do people feel that it is unsafe to store potatoes in the fridge and is there a better place to put them in this weather?

Comments

• Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Do you really buy 6-8 weeks worth of potatoes in one go?  Why not buy enough for just a week or two.  Buying in bulk might be a little cheaper but not if you need loads of fridge space to store them and the extra electricity involved.
  • rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I just buy a 2.5kg bag, easier and cheaper.  100 to 200g per portion, plus other meal options like rice and pasta means it would last at least a month.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When you say the difference was massive in terms of longevity did you mean better in the fridge or cupboard? Which ever it was is the answer. I personally have never heard of keeping potatoes in the fridge, but I fail to see why it would be harmful to do so.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    rhcp said:
    I've read various things about whether you should store potatoes in the fridge or not, some saying it is harmful, but in this weather they go off quite quickly for someone who lives alone, as they don't get used up as quickly.  I think they need to last 6 to 8 weeks.  I've tried storing them in  a cool (not that cool at the moment) place and out of direct sunlight, but they still go off quickly in this weather.
    I did try an experiment at easter, I bought 2 bags of lidl small potatoes, put one in the fridge, one in the usual place, the difference was massive for longevity.

So, I suppose I am asking is do people feel that it is unsafe to store potatoes in the fridge and is there a better place to put them in this weather?
    Please tell us: which bag lasted longer?

I think the point is that, in normal British gloom weather, it’s not necessary to store potatoes in the fridge. You do have to be careful what you store them with - onions will make them sprout - and keep them in the dark.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I always keep my potatoes in the fridge, because I have space there (it’s a very big fridge) and I don’t have suitable space elsewhere. I put them in the chiller drawer at the bottom, and they last for ages.  If I had somewhere else to keep them I probably would, but as far as I’m concerned this is a cool dark space and they do just fine.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry, I meant to add that like you I am single. I tend not to eat carbs with my evening meal, and so it can take me quite a while to get through a bag of potatoes. I sometimes buy a pack of four big baking potatoes but that’s a more expensive way to buy them and they’re not always suitable for what I want. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Linda32 said:
    When you say the difference was massive in terms of longevity did you mean better in the fridge or cupboard? Which ever it was is the answer.
    Keeping them in the fridge means that they last a lot longer, those outside of the fridge go soft and sprout, whilst inside the fridge are still firm.

Please tell us: which bag lasted longer?

I think the point is that, in normal British gloom weather, it’s not necessary to store potatoes in the fridge. You do have to be careful what you store them with - onions will make them sprout - and keep them in the dark.

- Pip
    I only do this in the summer as they seem to last quite a while in the winter, just like a find storing other veg, like carrots, in the fridge, last alot longer and stop from going soft.

I always keep my potatoes in the fridge, because I have space there (it’s a very big fridge) and I don’t have suitable space elsewhere. I put them in the chiller drawer at the bottom, and they last for ages.  If I had somewhere else to keep them I probably would, but as far as I’m concerned this is a cool dark space and they do just fine.
    I put mine in the chiller draw as well with the other veg.

As to why they say you shouldn't put potatoes in the fridge, this is a common article on it:

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mine are in the fridge at the moment, it's just too warm for them in the lean to in this weather and they just go off quickly. Thanks to an overload of potatoes from various sources Ive had one bag in there for four weeks. They're still good, I used some tonight.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • We’ve been eating tinned boiled potatoes. They are delicious and easy. 
    Last for years in the cupboard!
    It stops you from eating too many potatoes ‘because they need using up’
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,671 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It had never occurred to me to put potatoes in the fridge until I spotted the tip on a small bag of Morrisons' salad potatoes. Now they always go in the fridge and I can't believe how much longer they stay fresh. 
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback