Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Twenty-something's aim to be mortgage free - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Twenty-something's aim to be mortgage free

147 replies 4.4K views

Replies

• edited 13 July at 11:15AM
    wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 July at 11:15AM
    Just a quick update on the aims:

Aims for Dec 2020/April 2021
    1. Emergency fund - £1121.35/£4000
    2. Mortgage OPs - £141/£1000
    3. Family member loan - £200/£1000
    4. Mrs wh_em loan - £0/£7500
    5. LISA contributions - £253.50/£4000
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will probably be strange going back to work after being on furlough but I can understand how you feel.  I had a very narcissistic boss in my last job who manipulated me to believe that I was useless at my job while giving me all his work to do as well and then he would get to play the hero by standing up to the exec team on my behalf when really it was all his fault.  Took me 18 months after he left to get the confidence to look for a new job but I needed that time to try and get some confidence back.  I'm sure this new opportunity, even if it's short term will help, and it's only for a few weeks so you always have an out if things get a bit too much.
    Emergency Fund - £2731.91 / £5,000 :: Mortgage OP -£1114.32
    LISA 2020 - £2029 :: NSD October - 10 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 42 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    @ruby_eskimo wow that sounds oddly familiar! What an a***hole! I'm glad that you've got your confidence back though. That's very true about the short term and I feel like anything was better than those 5 months last year so this job should be a walk in the park! 
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Another £5.22 from Prolific! I've completely given up on Qmee. The money that I earn from Prolific from one survey is more than what I earn on a full day of Qmee and the surveys/studies are far more interesting! I have withdrawn the £5.22 and put it straight into the emergency fund. 
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think I've had like £35 from Prolific just in June which has been quite nice, and like you have given up on all the other survey sites because they just don't seem worth it.
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Hi all

Good news to wake up to this morning: we have managed to HALVE our energy bill this period compared to last! This was just by turning things off at the plug when not in use, taking shorter showers (guilty!) and changing the programme for the heating. Really pleased with myself and if I can maintain this until at least the end of September I'll be pleased. And I expect since I'll be back to work full time I'll be using much less power in general.

Final furlough payday today, which mostly went into various categories like household, fuel and cats. But I kept aside £8.52 for my LISA, £40 into the EF and £60 put aside for mortgage payments. Yesterday we received a notification to say our mortgage payments will be going up by about £10pm to cover the interest generated from the 3 month mortgage holiday. So I want to make sure that the money set aside for mortgage payments in the next few months is thoroughly padded out to account for this. Eventually when the mortgage payment pot is overflowing I can start stealing from it to make overpayments!

Yesterday was quite a chilled one, I set aside my things ready for work on Thursday, did a laundry load and two dishwasher loads. The weather was absolutely beautiful so I made sure to sit in the sun for a few hours as there will be no chance for that when I go back to work!

Nothing much on the agenda today, have a good one!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Hi all!

Today will be spent preparing for my first day back to work. I've tried to clean up the flat and get some washing done, I just want to get everything in a good place so when I come home in the evenings I don't feel stressed out about mess. I can't believe how fast the last 4 months have gone. It feels like only last week I was on hold with Barclays for 2 hours trying to get a mortgage holiday and worrying what the months ahead would hold! I knew it would all be okay and it has been, we've been incredibly lucky.

I'll be using my own laptop for work on this job, which I've never had to do before so I've had to do a bit of purchasing to make my work life easier. The first being a new battery! My old battery used to last 10 minutes at a time so I always just had the laptop plugged in. Not anymore! Also somebody had dumped a perfectly good (looking) computer screen outside their house (a regular occurrence in my city) so I carried that home yesterday and have ordered a power cable for it and a VGA to HDMI attachment so I can hook it up to the laptop and have two screens. Fingers crossed the screen works and if not its no loss really. And finally I've ordered a little docking station so I can set up a couple of screens and the printer on this and then when I come home with my laptop I can just plug it straight in with one cable instead of faffing with 3 or 4! All of this should be covered by the £x amount in expenses I'll receive from the job.

£25 from top cashback today, the cashback was for pet insurance we took out in February! £20 to the EF and £5 to my LISA. £6.50 refund from Sainos. £4.71 of that left in the food budget and the remaining sent to the EF. Slowly chipping away at it. Although now I'll be back to work I'm not sure I'll have time to do all my little earners like prolific etc - so I expect my totals won't change much before my first payday at the end of this month. 

Have a good one, I'm going to go make the most of my last day of freedom!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the new job is going well wh_em!  Agree that a docking station definitely saves time; I was lucky and got mine for free from my last employer when they did an IT refresh and were going to just throw out some almost new kit because it didn't fit with the new direction (I did ask, offered to pay and was just told to take it in case anyone things I'm a thief!)
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    @ruby_eskimo mad that they were throwing out almost new stuff! You'd think that they would have at least tried to flog it! Glad you got all yours for free though
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • edited 23 July at 7:41AM
    wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    edited 23 July at 7:41AM
    Hi all!
    A week since my last post, been back to work for 5 days now and I feel like I'm settling back into it well! I was feeling quite anxious last Wednesday thinking that I might have forgotten how to do my job or that they were expecting me to do all these things I've never done before! That hasn't really been the case at all, the first few days are always a bit weird trying to work out how the boss "likes things done" but she seems incredibly laid back and just a lovely person all round. 

I've been staying away from home a couple of nights a week at the place I used to stay in before I moved in with Mrs wh_em, I've been sleeping in a brand new bed and oh my god I haven't slept so well in ages!! You don't realise how bad your mattress is until you sleep on a new one, we're going mattress shopping this weekend now. I don't really have any money in the budget to be buying a mattress but a good night's sleep is so important it just has to be done.

New tech is all working great, I tested it all over the weekend and I'm dead chuffed with the set up. Which leads me onto my next point - the job I was doing in March when covid hit is starting back up again. They're looking to bring me back on in late August, so by the time I finish my current job it'll line up perfectly.

In regards to financials, my budget on YNAB is taking a bit of a hammering, there were a lot of red and amber boxes :( I know its not best practice but I've just been letting things go to overspend as I know I will have the money to cover it come payday next week. I've rectified that now though and taken money from my emergency fund to cover any purchases I'll be making before payday. It's disappointing to see my EF drop again but that's sort of what it was for, going 2 weeks without pay IS an emergency and I'm going to top it back up as soon as I can. Nothing else financial has changed really, just counting down the days until my pay starts up again (6 days!!!)

Have a good one!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000