New Post Advanced Search

Twenty-something's aim to be mortgage free

143 replies 4.2K views

Replies

• CompetsophCompetsoph Forumite
    237 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    @wh_em I don’t find your updates irritating, in fact I quite look forward to them. It’s nice to see the daily tasks others get up to, helps you compare what things you are doing with your own life. 

I’m so sorry you were upset but I’m pleased that you were able to let it out, and most importantly, talk about it. I too am a natural worrier and sometimes feel my OH puts on a brave face even when things are worrying him because of me. 

I’m still waiting to hear about my mortgage application so it’s a pretty tense time although I feel pretty calm about it. I’m still working, frontline NHS, and have done the whole way through so at least my funds are secure but it’s been tough and I feel like I’ve really missed out on a little break!! 
    Looking forward to keeping up with how things are.

🙂
    AIP: 29/02/2020
    VIEWED: 08/06/2020
    OFFER ACCEPTED: 09/06/2020
    MORTGAGE OFFER: 24/06/2020
    EXCHANGE DATE: 25/09/2020 🤞🏽
    September Grocery Challenge: £123.60/£200
    October Grocery Challenge: £0/£175
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    This is such a strange time for everyone that we're all finding it difficult to cope the longer it goes on.  The smallest thing that normally you'd be able to cope with can kick off a whole raft of emotions which is totally normal.  Hopefully the uncertainty around work eases soon and something as simple as looking after your array of new plants will help you relax and give you some respite.  Jealous of you having a gardener for a neighbour as they can come in handy!
    Thanks for this Ruby, it made me feel much better! You're right, the emotions we're going through at the moment are totally normal. We're in a bizarre time - I need to stop being so hard on myself. 
    The gardener is lovely! He has given us a bit of advice here and there in the last few months but I'd hate to take advantage!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • edited 17 June at 10:05AM
    wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    edited 17 June at 10:05AM
    @wh_em I don’t find your updates irritating, in fact I quite look forward to them. It’s nice to see the daily tasks others get up to, helps you compare what things you are doing with your own life. 

I’m so sorry you were upset but I’m pleased that you were able to let it out, and most importantly, talk about it. I too am a natural worrier and sometimes feel my OH puts on a brave face even when things are worrying him because of me. 

I’m still waiting to hear about my mortgage application so it’s a pretty tense time although I feel pretty calm about it. I’m still working, frontline NHS, and have done the whole way through so at least my funds are secure but it’s been tough and I feel like I’ve really missed out on a little break!! 
    Looking forward to keeping up with how things are.

🙂
    Thank you @Competsoph for the reassurance, I'm feeling much better today and shouldn't be so hard on myself for having these emotions! 
    And thank you for all the frontline work you've been doing, I can't imagine how tough that has been. I feel a bit silly complaining over here when really I've had an easy ride of it!
    You'll have to let me know when you start a MFW diary, I'd love to follow your progress.
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Good morning!

Mrs wh_em had a nice birthday yesterday, she was very excited about the flowers that I sent to her work AND the box of cookies I brought out while we were on a video call with her family. We talked about these cookies 3 weeks ago and I ordered them at the time but have since been pretending that I "forgot" to order them, you wouldn't believe the look of disappointment on her face. So that's us sorted for dessert for the next few days, although I did just have a sneaky one for breakfast - oops!

While Mrs wh_em was at work I pressure washed the old patio and tidied it up a bit. Mrs wh_em's parents and grandparents are coming over this weekend and will be socially distancing in this part of the garden so I wanted to make sure it was nice and up together. I cut back some of our shrubs and trees, especially the ones that were starting to encroach upon next door's garden. And in the afternoon I just relaxed and read my book with a cup of tea, it was wonderful!

I've completed a few surveys this morning, mainly on prolific as I'm reaching the end of my tether with the qmee ones, they're so boring and so long! I wouldn't mind if they were boring and only a minute but some of them take about half an hour and can be really repetitive. Not worth my sanity for a couple of pence. Just withdrew £2.07 in earnings so I think I'll put that in the emergency fund.

The £44 set aside from yesterday I sent to my LISA, so since February that's a total of £876 sent to my retirement and investment pots - including £141 into the mortgage OPs. If I include the contributions to my company pension I think it's over £1000. The priority is to make sure I get that £4k into my LISA so I can get the maximum bonus. Once the £4k is in there I can smash out some more mortgage OPs. I do keep doing little ones here and there but as I'm not actually making my monthly mortgage payment the balance just keeps going up regardless of how many OPs I make - quite disheartening. The mortgage payments will be back to normal from 1st August, fingers crossed I'll be back to work properly by then - there have been some whispering about our industry starting back up.

Need to do a big tidy up today after we made a mess for Mrs wh_em's birthday yesterday. Have a good one everybody!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Forgot to say, our energy bill came through and I compared it with last month's. We used £40 less in energy this period (15th May-15th June) compared to last and that's with only 2 weeks of the changes I mentioned previously. It went from £142 to £102 worth of energy consumed - hope to get it down even further. One of our upstairs neighbours was telling us about how cold it gets in the winter, I struggled not to point out that we're living in a 150 year old building with no double glazing...what do you expect? It's the nature of the beast and I wouldn't change it for the world, I adore our flat. 
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad that Mrs wh_em had a nice birthday and that you had a relaxing day.  Well done on reducing your energy costs, We definitely use too much but then we're both working at home now so it's difficult to gauge.
    Emergency Fund - £2343.47 / £5,000 :: Mortgage OP -£840.27
    LISA 2020 - £1670 :: NSD September - 4 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 35.6 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • edited 20 June at 8:32AM
    wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    edited 20 June at 8:32AM
    Good morning!

A couple of low key days just gone, on Thursday I did absolutely nothing all day! I didn't even load the dishwasher, I just snoozed on and off all day - it was wonderful. Yesterday was a bit busier, got some work done in the garden; I dug out a border and reshuffled some plants that were already there but looked a bit messy. It's now much neater and the grass is really coming along. I also put sealant around the kitchen counter, something that I have been meaning to do since I finished tiling 3 months ago!! But with that there it really looks lovely, I gave the counter and cooker a good clean and sorted through everything before putting it all back. 

This morning I got a profilic payout of £8.92 & a Top Cashback payout of 1.81 - these went straight into the Emergency fund which I have managed to contribute a total of £103.40 to just by little bits here and there. Total is up to £863.81, I might JUST squeeze it over the £900 this month but we shall see.
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Hello, happy Sunday!

Mrs wh_em's parents and grandparents are coming over later today for a distanced lunch, really looking forward to it as I love her family a lot. Her grandparents have become my surrogate grandparents now.

Quite a busy day yesterday, went to the garden centre first thing to spend some gift vouchers Mrs wh_em got for her birthday. We ended up getting 3 new shrubs that we're going to put along the fence line, eventually they'll grow big enough so we can have a bit more privacy in our garden. I tidied up outside and mowed the lawn, we have a mower but we have this really difficult bit that I really need a strimmer for, but since we don't have one and we're watching the budget right now I get on my hands and knees and use shears and scissors to cut the grass. I must look like a right nutter but needs must. There's always a few strimmers going on FB marketplace so when I have a spare £20 I'll buy one of those.

The premier league is back on so my sky sports subscription is finally getting used! We moved into our flat at the end of Feb and as a nice little treat for myself I set us up with a sky sports subscription and literally a week later all the games were cancelled, hahaha. I did suspend the subscription for the months it wasn't on but it was just gutting that I finally get to a point in my life that I can afford to watch football on MY tv in MY house and bam....it gets taken away. I've had every game on so far and Mrs wh_em is losing the will to live!

Not much to report on the financial front today - had a little payment of £22.50 come through so I just allocated that to one of my saving pots.

The only mortgage OP this month has been £16, I've been focusing on filling up my LISA first as that's the most important thing. Wondering if I'll even get the LISA filled up by the full £4k, I have just assumed that I will but I'm not so sure when I think about it, I've put £142/£4000 in there so far so we're a long way off right now. When I go back to work I think I'll bump up the monthly DD to £200-300 rather than just the £100. The way things are currently going if I just do my DD of £100 and my £44 pw then I will have put £2484 in there by April - must do better.

I'm looking forward to getting back into work again, fingers crossed we hear something next week.
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • edited 21 June at 9:08AM
    varforvarfor Forumite
    39 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic
    edited 21 June at 9:08AM
    Good luck with the work situation

Things are obviously not back to normal but it makes such a difference being able to visit family, watch the football etc

It's great having the premier league games back. I've quite enjoyed turning the fake crowd noise off and hearing the players / coaching staff
    2019 MFW #118: 9474/4000
    2020 MFW #112: 1486.79/2500
    96000 away from mortgage neutral

• CompetsophCompetsoph Forumite
    237 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    @wh_em

Are you intending on saving up a bulk and then using that to pay off a chunk of the mortgage or overpaying each month? Just curious as I’m hoping I’ll be able to pay extra and unsure in which way to do it. 

We went back to see our house today, it made me even more excited. And the floors and ceilings are better than I remember! So looking forward to things moving on. 
    AIP: 29/02/2020
    VIEWED: 08/06/2020
    OFFER ACCEPTED: 09/06/2020
    MORTGAGE OFFER: 24/06/2020
    EXCHANGE DATE: 25/09/2020 🤞🏽
    September Grocery Challenge: £123.60/£200
    October Grocery Challenge: £0/£175