New Post Advanced Search

Twenty-something's aim to be mortgage free

144 replies 4.3K views

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad I'm not the only one with parents who insist on giving you their cast offs!  Every time I go and see mine I end up with a boot full of things that they're getting rid of that I might find useful.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for everything but I do wish sometimes they'd find other people to give all their clutter to  :wink: 

The retirement contributions are looking good, think I've managed about £400 since April into the LISA so you're doing really well.
    Emergency Fund - £2510.80 / £5,000 :: Mortgage OP -£840.27
    LISA 2020 - £1759 :: NSD October - 0 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 38.8 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • edited 14 June at 8:18AM
    wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 14 June at 8:18AM
    Typed this out in the AM but didn't get to post it until much later.

Quite a productive day yesterday. Unpacked some of the things that I brought back from my parents' house. So many things I had forgotten about, a lot of "bottom drawer" stuff that my mum has given me over the years, a few bits from my grandparents and LOADS of tools. I forgot how big my tool set was! I had to reorganise our new cupboard to be able to put it all away properly. I also put aside a box of things that I realised I don't really want or need anymore and Mrs wh_em is going to sell these at a charity sale she's doing on our street. Some of it is perfectly good stuff but we just don't have the space or my tastes have changed since buying it.

When Mrs wh_em got home from work she was craving a pizza so we gave in and ordered one. I've had 3 takeaways since March - I don't think that's too bad!! For a long time Mrs wh_em refused to order anything in because she was worried it could be contaminated by Covid-19 but it seems she will relax that rule for a Dominos!

After dinner I saw a post on Facebook that somebody was selling plants outside their house for Macmillan and it was just around the corner from ours so we walked over there. Spent £12 buying a couple of different little flowering plants that we can decide what to do with today. I know we're not meant to be spending anymore money in the garden this month but I saw it as a charity donation rather than proper spending. 

Mrs wh_em is still asleep but once she wakes up we're going to go over to the garden centre and use up the vouchers I got for my birthday by buying some compost....what a birthday treat!

Speaking of birthdays, it's Mrs wh_em's next week, I've wrapped all her presents and she's getting flowers delivered to her work on the day and a box of cookies delivered at home ready for when she gets in. I'll need to do a quick shop the day before to get the ingredients for the dinner she wants and then in the evening we're having a Zoom board games evening with her family. I really hope she has a good day, she made my birthday really lovely but she loves to organise events whereas I'm not very good at it.

No money updates today as its a Saturday and no bills come out and no money comes in on a Saturday! There's an extra payday this month as there are 5 Tuesdays - so I'll have a think as to what I can do with that money.

MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Hi all,
    Yesterday we went to the garden centre, couldn't find the right compost we needed so we bought some special plant food that we can just add to regular compost and also picked up another Rhododendron, using my birthday voucher. Then we stopped by B&Q to get some compost there as its cheaper. We also ended up buying £15 worth of shrubs too! Some lavender, some sort of spiky thing that Mrs wh_em got quite attached to and some fuschias that were in the clearance section. I would absolutely love to fill our whole garden with whatever clearance items we can find but its so tempting while you're there and you see all these other beautiful plants... I had a £4.00 credit note to use so that got us down to about £35 all in. Starting from Monday I think I'm going to try really hard to do a couple of no spend days. I can't seem to do it at the moment!

In the afternoon we tidied up the garden, cut back a few unruly shrubs and trees and tied up some roses that were falling all over the place. We then planted some of our new purchases. In the early evening Mrs Wh_em's aunt stopped by with her two boys and we were so surprised to find that one of our cats didn't seem to bat at eyelid at being around children. This is the first time since we got them (we have two) that they've met children and when we adopted them the shelter said they would not get on with kids. One of the boys kept stroking him and must have been hugely irritating but our cat just walked away and lay out of reach. What a good boy! To be honest that cat isn't know for lashing out. We've had him for 1.5 years and in that time he's never once scratched me, even when I've had to flea him or clean his battle wounds. Really good cat.

We didn't introduce the boys to our other cat, she would have been absolutely petrified - we just pretended that she was out for the day, in reality she was in the spare room under the duvet, haha.

In recent weeks I've been absolutely obsessed with our energy bill. When we moved in I expected the bill to go up a tad because the flat had been empty for 3 months, the first month we were here it was fine but it seemed to have jumped excessively in April (£146 worth of energy used). We went from paying £59 a month DD to £88 a month DD so I needed to act. I know it will be because we are spending far more time at home due to Covid-19 but if I can get the bill down comfortably despite this I'll feel better about it. My plan so far has been turning off everything at the socket when not in use, I tried to do this in our last place but Mrs wh_em forgot about it so it never really stuck; taking shorter showers; using the timed settings on the boiler - I thought this was already the case but it turns out I've had it on constant the whole time! It looks like May (£105 worth of energy used) was much better and now hopefully June will be even better than that! Not only will it save money its also just good practice to not be so wasteful in general. I hate the thought that we have wasted so much already.
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • CompetsophCompetsoph Forumite
    244 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    @wh_em hi, I’m hoping to soon have my own mortgage to begin trying to overpay on! I’ve enjoyed reading your little diary and I’m going to keep up with it! Good luck xx
    AIP: 29/02/2020
    VIEWED: 08/06/2020
    OFFER ACCEPTED: 09/06/2020
    MORTGAGE OFFER: 24/06/2020
    COMPLETED: 25/09/2020 🥳🥳
    September Grocery Challenge: £146.60/£200
    October Grocery Challenge: £0/£175
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    @wh_em hi, I’m hoping to soon have my own mortgage to begin trying to overpay on! I’ve enjoyed reading your little diary and I’m going to keep up with it! Good luck xx
    It won't be long until you have your own one! I was exactly like you pre-purchase, but during the purchase I had to stay away from these forums because it made me so anxious and stressed haha.
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Glad I'm not the only one with parents who insist on giving you their cast offs!  Every time I go and see mine I end up with a boot full of things that they're getting rid of that I might find useful.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for everything but I do wish sometimes they'd find other people to give all their clutter to  :wink: 

The retirement contributions are looking good, think I've managed about £400 since April into the LISA so you're doing really well.
    Sorry, I had meant to reply to this over the weekend. Honestly I love all their cast offs, its like finding a big treasure chest!! My parents always buy the best quality stuff so when its time to get a hand-me-down I know it'll be something good.
    £400 is great, we'll get there in the end. Hopefully when work starts back up again I can throw more money in there.
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Well done on starting a diary and sorry to hear its been a tough time.
    Thanks for saying that, I really appreciate it. I think there's light at the end of the tunnel now!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Hello everyone!
    Does anyone ever get days where they just need to recharge their social batteries? Yesterday was one of those, I just needed absolute quiet while I mucked about in the garden. 

I cut back the lower branches of a tree right at the bottom of our garden, I raked and bagged up all our garden waste that we have accumulated in the last 3 months, my parents said that they would take it away for us next time they're down, so that's nice of them. I reorganised the shed as I have just been casually throwing things in there and hoping for the best that the door would close! 

In an effort to be money saving we replaced Mrs Wh_em's dying phone with one of my old phones from a couple of years ago instead of buying a new one. Its not perfect but its better than what she had, the battery on hers was getting diabolical - I'll let you guess what brand it is. So I moved everything across and set it all up for her. I'm sure Mrs Wh_em will agree when I say I do a lot for her, but one of my favourite things to help her with is her tech. 

Money things:
    - One of Mrs Wh_em's pension providers has let us know that her whopping pension of £35 has been moved to her current provider. 
    - Had £100 come through yesterday so I put it into the categories on YNAB where I had overspent (guilty!) and then put a tenner in my emergency fund. That fund is very very slowly creeping up.

Looking forward to payday tomorrow, I can't lie.
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    131 posts
    Good morning!
    I'm sure its irritating to some that I update this every single day but at the moment its something nice that I look forward to. When I go back to work I'll probably be posting less but we'll see.

Yesterday was an awful day, I have to say. I walked to Sainsbury's in the morning to get ingredients for Mrs wh_em's birthday dinner and for the entire walk home I cried. After getting home I felt much better and although I could tell you why I cried, when I look back on it the problems don't seem so unmanageable. I think I've just been incredibly stressed out with the current situation but have been putting on such a brave face for Mrs wh_em that I haven't really had a chance to panic or be upset. Normally I really struggle without the structure of work so I've had that to contend with as well, coupled with the fact my mental health can be a bit wobbly sometimes. I think it all just got too much. Mrs wh_em is a natural worrier so to ensure we both don't descend into madness I'll often keep my worries to myself. I remember when we were in the process of buying our flat we had to put a veto on any discussion about it because as soon as we talked about it we would bounce off each other with all the things that could go wrong! Don't get me wrong, I don't often that I get stressed out about life but buying a flat is a whole other ball game of stress and anxiety. Followed swiftly by a global pandemic in which I've lost my job I think I might have every right to have grown a few grey hairs in the last 12 months.

As the day wore on it got much better, I suddenly had a burst of energy and gave the kitchen a good tidy and a sweep and watered all the outdoor plants and grass. Our neighbour across the road made a beeline for me and said he had some plants he was getting rid of and did I want them. Errr yes!!! What a nice bloke, he's the same one who let me take some wood from his skip. So we've got about 5 or so new plants that he told me all about but I've forgotten the names of! I know one of them is an ivy... that's about it. But he said they were all fantastic plants but they don't fit in with his garden scheme anymore, basically. He showed me his back garden (he's a gardener) and he's done a cracking job, not my thing, but it does look fantastic in its own right. I returned the favour and gave him a tour of ours...not quite as impressive but he was very complimentary. 

Last night Mrs wh_em and I went for a stroll around the block when she got home from work. We saw a charity plant sale going on and Mrs wh_em pointed out how much she liked one particular plant and she wished she had some money with her. So naturally this morning after she left for work I ran down to the sale and bought this plant, its a really nice purple looking thing. It's her birthday today so its just an extra present :)

Payday today and as I was looking through my budget I realised I had had a few NSDs by accident. Sunday and Monday. The only things I bought were some groceries. Which I think still counts as a NSD because they are something I would have to buy normally. Anyway, I didn't buy anything unnecessarily for those two days which is great. I think I've only got 4 or 5 more paydays until my furlough payments end so its belt tightening time and hoping to funnel these payments into my emergency fund. Looking forward to many more NSDs until I get my job back.

Filled up my categories on YNAB. Some key things: put another £200 into the car insurance fund, due next week. £44 into the investments slush fund (where I will decide if it goes to my LISA or a mortgage OP) and another £5 or so into my emergency fund.

Emergency fund stands at £850.18 today (plus £800 set aside specifically for mortgage payments when they start again).

MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is such a strange time for everyone that we're all finding it difficult to cope the longer it goes on.  The smallest thing that normally you'd be able to cope with can kick off a whole raft of emotions which is totally normal.  Hopefully the uncertainty around work eases soon and something as simple as looking after your array of new plants will help you relax and give you some respite.  Jealous of you having a gardener for a neighbour as they can come in handy!
    Emergency Fund - £2510.80 / £5,000 :: Mortgage OP -£840.27
    LISA 2020 - £1759 :: NSD October - 0 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 38.8 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017