Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

Twenty-something's aim to be mortgage free - Page 15

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Twenty-something's aim to be mortgage free

147 replies 4.4K views
191011121315»

Replies

• edited 15 September at 11:16AM
    wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 15 September at 11:16AM
    Aims for Dec 2020/April 2021
    1. Emergency fund -   £2000/£4000 No change
    2. Mortgage OPs - £152.53/£1000 No change 
    3. Family member loan - £600 £700/£1000 
    4. Mrs wh_em loan - £251.49/£7500 No change
    5. LISA contributions - £915.02  £1490.00/£4000 
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • CompetsophCompetsoph Forumite
    255 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    @wh_em nice to hear from you!

I think breaking things up into little jobs really helps to make progress. I myself have felt a little overwhelmed recently with jobs and so this month my priority's are to make a one job list every day, and stick to it. I feel so much more accomplished now with completing that intended one task than completing 14 tasks but feeling guilty about the 15th that I never go time to finish! Some sort of simple complicated psychology! :smiley:
    I really wish I could work from home, i'd just be in my dressing gown all the time. This would be much more comfortable than my tunics and tight banded trousers! A girl can dream..
    I see little changes in the finances too which is also positive. You're getting there! Have a good week. 
    Officially a homeowner 🥳🥳
    September Grocery Challenge: £146.60/£200
    October Grocery Challenge: £0/£175
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Aw thanks for your support about the finances...we are getting there, slowly but surely!
    You're totally right and when you're buying a house that to-do list is especially overwhelming! Hahaha, after week two of wearing trackie bottoms I had to start wearing jeans because I felt like such a slob wearing trackies while "at work", having a shower and then putting the same ones back on again! Maybe I might do dress-down fridays and wear my dressing gown all day! Just hope I'm not on a zoom call!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
    Original settlement date: Dec-54 Projected: Jul-55 (due to 3 month mortgage holiday!)
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're doing better wh_em.  I aim to do three tasks a day at work and three tasks a day at home to just take the pressure off.  Although that being said, apparently I'm doing way more than they're expecting me to do at work so feel like I can slack off a little bit from time to time.  I'm going through phases of getting "dressed up" for work (actually wearing work clothes and doing hair and a little bit of makeup) and then there are days like today where I just about managed to shower and throw on some leggings and a hoodie :lol:
    Emergency Fund - £2631.91 / £5,000 :: Mortgage OP -£1114.32
    LISA 2020 - £1759 :: NSD October - 9 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 40.2 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Hi all
    Long time no speak! Work has been incredibly hectic - I took on some more work which meant my work load doubled overnight so there's been very little down time to scroll through MSE. I hope everyone is well. I've been in a bit of a hole mentally, I have to say - this year has really been quite a tough one and I think I'll be glad to see the back of it, just like many other people.

Anyway, onto the finances.... I've been paying 15% into my pension, my company add on a tiny 3% BUT it's better than nothing and means I'm putting away roughly £400 a month into my pension, so the figures are starting to climb. According to my spreadsheet at my current savings rate I can retire at 59 - that's not to be sniffed at, eh?!

I've been trying to put aside 25% of my pay each week into my LISA but its been a big ask I have to say. I think I'm just about managing it.

Financials aside I've been trying to fill my life up with things that I enjoy, trying to meet new people and also do a bit of exercise. So on the weekend I don't open my laptop, I read, potter in the garden, see friends and family and I took up bouldering 2 weeks ago, I've been to two sessions and made a couple of friends. I've also started geocaching! Which is completely nerdy but its nice to get out of the house and go for a walk with a purpose and it helps me discover a bit more of my city that I otherwise wouldn't have.

I'm hoping everyone is doing well considering the current climate. I wish you all good health and stable long term jobs!

Have a good one
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • wh_emwh_em Forumite
    133 posts
    Aims for Dec 2020/April 2021
    1. Emergency fund -   £2000/£4000 No change
    2. Mortgage OPs - £152.53/£1000 No change 
    3. Family member loan -  £700/£1000 No change 
    4. Mrs wh_em loan - £251.49/£7500 No change
    5. LISA contributions - £1490.00  £1840/£4000 - almost at the halfway mark!
    MFW 2020 £152.53/£1000
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear work has been hectic but sounds like you have a good routine going on and making significant contributions to the pension is always good!  Don't worry Geocaching isn't that nerdy, I do it all the time...or maybe it is and I don't realise just how much of a nerd I am!
    Emergency Fund - £2631.91 / £5,000 :: Mortgage OP -£1114.32
    LISA 2020 - £1759 :: NSD October - 9 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 40.2 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017