Not making ends meet

Options

Comments

• CoolBeans22
    CoolBeans22 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The first question will be why one wage and not two. Not a reflection or comment, just enquiring to see if there is a way to increase income.  
    I work part-time due to a health condition but on furlough at the moment.  Trying to find some extra income e.g sewing, that I can do at home and add to our income.
  • CoolBeans22
    Options
    Do you need both mobile and landline? 
    We have a landline included with the internet but don't use it, I pay £22.99 a month for this. 
    Also mobiles, I know lots of people say sim only but not sure how much these are? I'm with Tesco mobile and pay £35 a month for 4 phones but you could get two smart phones for £15 a month.
    We’re tied in to a contract at the moment for combined landline and internet.  We both have very basic mobile contracts which are basically so my husband and I can get hold of each other.  I have a rare heart condition and he likes to know that I can call him or for help if needed.  I hardly use it to be honest.
  • CoolBeans22
    Options
    jazzyja said:
    Ive been in this position. Only thing i had to do was get a better job (I know this isn't easy nor an option for everyone) but is it an option? Or increase your hours an option? 
    My husband has potential to go further with his job, but all his overtime etc has stopped currently.  My hours were being looked at prior to Covid but now hoping and praying my job is still there in any capacity.  I like to sew and trying to find things I could make to sell.
  • CoolBeans22
    Options
    You say you have rehomed pets yet you are still showing pet expenses, also medical could you break that down please.
    Pet insurance is £49 per month for one dog and £39 for the other.
    Medical is £10.40 per month for a prescription card to cover my meds and then the remainder, about £26 is for my husbands dental plan.
  • CoolBeans22
    Options
    Andyjflet said:
    The problem here is income, you really are not earning enough to pay your four walls costs first and foremost. Your rent alone is over 40% of your income and here lies the problem, this should be around 25% or less.

Therefore, as drastic as it sounds you need to either move to a cheaper area where rent is £425 a month or increase your earnings. Sometimes you have to get out and build the income, I recently did Amazon for extra income and am making changes. 
    We have downsized a couple of times as and when people have flown the nest.  We really need to boost our income.  Did you deliver for Amazon?
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should be eligible for some benefits, housing support or UC on such a low income and with high rent, have you checked? You may be able to reduce you electricity, we are 4 at home at the moment and paying £50 a month. Can you speak to your IVA provider to lower your payment or switch to a DMP?
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • CoolBeans22
    Options
    You have to look at ways of increasing your income here.  Unless living in London where it is usual to pay up to 50% of your salary in rent, you need to look at increasing your salary.  The grocery amount seems quite specific, is there ever any 'nipping out' to the shops to buy extra things.  They all add up!
    What does the £40 per month on clothing cover?  Has that been needed since lockdown?  Even out of lockdown I don't spend money on new clothes every month.  Just opinions.
    PS Sorry about the cats but you have been brave indeed.  Get yourself sorted and then maybe cats can become part of your life again in the future.
    My husband works full time and does overtime as much as possible but that’s on hold during the current situation.  I work part-time but currently furloughed and I could definitely take on some extra work but would need to be something home for the extra hours.
    The grocery amount is specific because it is the amount we have left each month after DD’s and all essential bills are accounted for.  If anything e.g like the car goes wrong or it’s a family birthday etc, it has to come out of that.
    I can’t really remember the last time we bought clothes until last month when we had to buy some underwear!  Can’t believe I just said that!  I included it as I thought I should but we definitely don’t spend that amount monthly on clothes.
    Thank you for your kind comments about the cats.
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, hard but wise decision re the cats,
    have you checked you aren't entitled to any benefits?
    can you speak to IVA company?
    do you really need 2 cars?
    rent is too high for your income.
    cut clothing budgert for now
    could you not pay off catalogue with the asset money you have?
    use topcashback for pet insurance- yours is extortionate!! 
    also use them to get some contents insurance- be about £5-£10 a month.
    anything to sell?
    get speaking to people re your sewing skills :)  :)
    I'd love a local alterations lady!
    ISA............................0.........106.......0   What does this mean?
    good luck 
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like your situation is really tight at the moment. I think to get the best advice, you might need to refine your SOA. For example, you have calculated the grocery amount as the amount left over after DD's and essential bills, but it really needs to be the actual amount that you spend on groceries, to see what the impact of those other expenses might be. And if you don't spend 40 pounds a month on clothes, then put a more realistic amount. Having said that, it does sound like the main issue is the amount left over after paying your rent.
    What is the ISA payment? 
    Regarding family birthdays, if the expense is presents, could you sew something handmade instead?  
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 June 2020 at 8:24PM
    Options
    You say your husband is working full-time, but how many hours is that? It looks like less than 40, and on minimum wage, can he find an evening or weekend job to supplement his income?

Looking at the other side of it, can he not find a way to earn more per hour? That’s the wage for completely unskilled work; is he able to find something that pays a bit more?

It’s hard to tell what’s going on with your wage; will you be on a lot more when you go back to work? If not, the same questions apply, why so little?

I’m not suggesting that anyone or everyone can do 60 hours a week on £50 an hour, but a working week of fifty hours is pretty normal nowadays when you are young, and £10-12 an hour should be manageable with some planning and effort. It’s no use cutting expenses to the bone if the income side isn’t looked at too.

We pay our cleaners and nanny £15 an hour, would it be worth finding some self-employment cleaning, or qualifying to mind children?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure