New Post Advanced Search

Company house company filing late

5 replies 91 views
A company has filed company statement later and previously accounts late. What action does company house take. 

What is the reason for a company to file late? Is it a warning sign?

Thanks. 

Replies

• sliphisliphi Forumite
    462 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    A company has filed company statement later and previously accounts late. What action does company house take. 

What is the reason for a company to file late? Is it a warning sign?

Thanks. 
    In answer to your questions:
    What action does company house take. - None, usually.
    What is the reason for a company to file late? - Could be any number of reasons. Often it' can be something as simple as a delay caused by their accountant. Have you ever been late to do anything?
    Is it a warning sign? - No.

• martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sliphi said:
    I'm not sure I'd be quite so categorical.  It could be something and nothing, but companies that are chaotic and collapsing also miss deadlines for filing.

• PennywisePennywise Forumite
    13.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One late filing is usually an oversight.
    Repeated late filings over several years is usually chaotic management or signs of a collapsing company that wants to avoid publishing "bad news" such as ever increasing losses!
  • edited 2 June at 12:17PM
    sliphisliphi Forumite
    462 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 2 June at 12:17PM
    martindow said:
    sliphi said:
    I'm not sure I'd be quite so categorical.  It could be something and nothing, but companies that are chaotic and collapsing also miss deadlines for filing.

It good that we have differing opinions. It makes the forum so much interesting, don't ya think?

The vast majority of companies that collapse do not miss filing deadlines, but I agree, there are some that do.

The names of some companies that collapse begin with the letter .... G.

• edited 2 June at 12:21PM
    sliphisliphi Forumite
    462 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 2 June at 12:21PM
    Pennywise said:
    One late filing is usually an oversight.
    Repeated late filings over several years is usually chaotic management or signs of a collapsing company that wants to avoid publishing "bad news" such as ever increasing losses!
    Witrh respect, the OP didn't mention "Repeated late filings over several years"
    If they did, my response would be different, even to their first question.

I agree that a company that repeatedly, over several years, posts increasing losses is a signal, but not an inevitablity, that the company will fail. Probably best to look deeper behind the numbers if you are planning to invest in such a business.