TV AERIAL PROBLEMS

Options
Hi
for last five years we keep having Lost TV signal or No TV signal messages and EVERY year we need to get TV aerial person to either climb up and sort aerial/buy new booster/buy new transmitter etc.
Is there any way I can bypass rooftop TV aerial and go for indoor ones? Do they give same quality pictures?
I have talktalk broadband and TV and 2019 model Smart TV.I like to watch youview channels.
Thanks

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
     <aerial and go for indoor ones? Do they give same quality pictures? >
    Depends upon how far from transmitter but basically no .
    Youview ??  not sure what you mean .
    Freeview Channels are from the aerial . Internet catchup channels are from broadband .

< TV aerial person to either climb up and sort aerial/buy new booster/buy new transmitter etc.>

Suggests you are a very long way from the transmitter .

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
     Depending on your signal strength, go for a loft aerial. I recently had one fitted when relocating the TV points, it's easy to get to should anything go wrong, but, I don't notice any difference in the reception compared to the rooftop one.
    I'd be concerned that you have the same problem 'every year' with your existing aerial.......My rooftop aerial has been in place for 25 years plus with no maintenance whatsoever and has never let us down..
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Take a photo of your aerial so we can see if it is appropriate?
    The best looking antenna aren't always the best.
    You might be able to improve your signal with a masthead amplifier, if you don't already have one.

To get a better signal you generally get a longer pole.
    Birds landing on your antenna could be causing issues, so sometimes a small antenna is better.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Obviously things have moved on technically over the years etc.
    Sorry for sounding a little dumb, but do people still have to have a digital aerial installed ?
    I remember first getting 'freeview ', and at the time it wasn't . 
    Just a thought ...😼
  • 11fernsroad
    11fernsroad Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we just about 3-4 miles from nearest transmitter.
    When it works the signal in pretty good and no issues at all,neighbours too got excellent signal.
    It is just that every year £100-150 is spent of TV aerail service guy only for some other problem to crop up later!!
    All the broadband based channels are fine including netflix etc.
    It is just freeview channels which need aerial inputs which bothers me
  • inspectorperez
    Options
    Has your engineer checked out the integrity of the cable? I discovered water ingress in my cable several months ago. It had obviously been a problem for a while with poor signal strength until it disappeared altogether. Just unscrewed the lead that goes into the television and felt the water straightaway. New cable all sorted. Glad it was sorted because the full extent of the water ingress could have been a real problem had it not been discovered and fixed even though it was better late than never.
  • RumRat
    Options
    Maybe you need a new aerial man? Have you definitely ruled out any problems with the TTTV box?
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • RumRat
    Options
    Sorry for sounding a little dumb, but do people still have to have a digital aerial installed ?
    Just a thought ...😼
    There is no such thing as a 'Digital Aerial'....
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 June 2020 at 11:41AM
    Options
    RumRat said:
    Just a thought ...😼
    There is no such thing as a 'Digital Aerial'....
    Well, a lot of us got ripped off back in the day . We were told that our present aerials were not up to speed , or similar wording.
    I had frozen screens etc and after shelling out for a digital  aerial my troubles were over. 
    As I say, they may not exist now , but digital aerial was the term used. Believe it or not , John Lewis put me in touch with someone externally that they recommended at the time  . Anyway , I'll leave it there so not to distract from the thread 😼
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Forgot to mention , my aerial at the time was a loft aerial . Should've been sufficient . 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback