New Post Advanced Search

Santander - Private to Lite

5 replies 231 views
okydokyokydoky Forumite
250 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
Anyone got experience of this? Santander tell me they won't do this, seems my only option is to open a Lite account alongside my Private account, why would I do this and pay an extra monthly fee?
They upgraded my previous account to Private several years ago promising benefits that never really materialised - now I'm being penalised for having a Private account which I never applied for in the first place! Been with Santander for over twenty years and they upgrade my account, not because I have loads of income or savings but because I run a number of standing orders through my account to hit minimum pay ins on other accounts I hold.

Any ideas??

Replies

• colstencolsten Forumite
    13.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea what a Santander Private account is but if they wouldn't let me change it to a Lite, I would switch to a different bank.
  • tg99tg99 Forumite
    798 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....it’s on my to do list to downgrade my Private to a Lite. Have downgraded my full fat 123 to a Lite without a problem. Like you I was upgraded from 123 to Private without requesting it (though only for one of my two full fat 123 accounts I had at the time, the other remained untouched and is the once I’ve since downgraded to Lite). 

Have you tried doing it online or just by phoning up?
  • okydokyokydoky Forumite
    250 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I attempted it online and received an email stating simply that it couldn't be done, and that I should open a Lite account. I could obviously do this and switch away my "Private" account but I really wanted to retain the account number. Also it feels like a lot of effort setting up the direct debits and numerous standing orders again, it's just frustrating that they won't regrade it!
    Haven't been able to get through on the phone, even on the dedicated Private number😖
  • tg99tg99 Forumite
    798 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    okydoky said:
    I attempted it online and received an email stating simply that it couldn't be done, and that I should open a Lite account. I could obviously do this and switch away my "Private" account but I really wanted to retain the account number. Also it feels like a lot of effort setting up the direct debits and numerous standing orders again, it's just frustrating that they won't regrade it!
    Haven't been able to get through on the phone, even on the dedicated Private number😖
    Yeah likewise I want to retain the account number too given all my DD and SO set up. Hopefully they will do it manually over the phone for you.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    10.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Santander 123 Select which they downgraded over the phone to a Lite so the details stayed the same.  Not sure how the select differs from private though. 
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]