New Post Advanced Search

White Blister on Brassicas

6 replies 43 views
twopennytwopenny Forumite
226 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
✭✭
First time this has happened to me but new garden new problems.
As nothing has grown here before for nearly a centuary and it was grass or tarmac I'm guessing it's not in the soil but the warm damp winter or the insects I've been so keen to attract.
Before ripping the plants out I cut off the offending parts and the rest continued to produce. Planning on new plants and crop rotation (mind it's a tiny area) I hoped for better this year. Healthy new broccoli plants but no seed for anything else so I was pleased a friend offered small kale  plants. To my dismay they already have a few tiny white blisters on them.
Should I go ahead and plant in the clear soil, removing the affected leaves as they grow or should I ditch them? Really don't want to ditch them but also don't want the entire bed affected.
Any ideas or experience with this? Will feeding them something improve the situation and if so what? Anything I can do - before going to the garden centre and buying some though they may not have them with limited stock.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    5.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    @twopenny can you post a photo so we can see what you are talking about?
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    226 posts
    ✭✭
    I don't have any of my own MovingForwards and I've trimmed the plants.
    Gardening Which has one with an excellent description. Hope it's alright to post that?
    The flowering stems and florettes can be thick and distorted too.

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's usually worth checking the RHS site for pest and disease solutions. 
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    226 posts
    ✭✭
    Mojisola thanks but I've been looking at the advice on various sites.
    I was hoping for some experience as to whether I should replant or not or if keeping the fungus regularly trimmed off will give me some winter veg.
    Official advice tends to be what you should do rather than what you can get away with.

• mcpitmanmcpitman Forumite
    891 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this when I planted the brassicas too close together.

You could try planting further apart.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • edited 3 June at 11:33AM
    twopennytwopenny Forumite
    226 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 3 June at 11:33AM
    Good point Mcpitman I wonder if it's because of the poor air circulation in these back gardens? Plus they did grow very big for dwarf kale.
    It would also explain why I didn't get it at my last house with large garden.
    I'll look at planting them but in a different configuration to allow better air circulation. Also swap the soil over to non brassicas. Best I can do in a small space.
     Pruning out the badly affected stuff did keep them free for a couple of weeks each time. Enough for new growth.
    Fingers crossed that the fungus is knocked out by winter weather.