Kitchen purchase

Options
We ordered a new kitchen on Thursday and had intended to pay the deposit by credit card, to afford us some protection. However, as I don’t use my credit card frequently, the transaction would not go through and we had to pay using BACS instead. I would feel more confortable paying with a credit card as we’ve paid £6K to order the kitchen, which won’t be ready until August. That feels a long way off to have nothing to show for such a large payment. Do you think I could ask the company for the deposit to be refunded and then repay using a credit card?(Deposit is non refundable) Alternatively, if I paid an additional £100+ now, would that provide protection for the whole of the cost, even though my first payment had not need on the CC? Thanks In advance for your thoughts.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They won't reverse the deposit, but make your next payment on a credit card for s75 protection.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fruly said:
    Alternatively, if I paid an additional £100+ now, would that provide protection for the whole of the cost, even though my first payment had not need on the CC?
    No need to pay £100+ on a credit card to secure protection for the whole cost, even a penny would do (theoretically!)
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's always advisable to call your credit card company in advance of any intended large size payment to ensure they are onside to allow it to go through.

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's always advisable to call your credit card company in advance of any intended large size payment to ensure they are onside to allow it to go through.

I think this is incorrect. 

If they have any doubt about a transaction they will get in touch with you.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've always contacted my credit card company in advance of a significant purchase to ensure the transaction will proceed without any hiccups - never had any problems, and never been told this is incorrect.
    What's the issue ?
  • harsh_but_fair
    Options
    No issue and of course you are totally at liberty to do that but what is lacking is any control in that nobody knows what would have happened had you had not contacted the card

the transaction may have gone through anyway so you cannot say that calling them was a good idea or not
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No issue and of course you are totally at liberty to do that but what is lacking is any control in that nobody knows what would have happened had you had not contacted the card

the transaction may have gone through anyway so you cannot say that calling them was a good idea or not
    And conversely, notifying them first is no guarantee that a transaction will be authorised - it would be a gaping hole in their security measures if advance customer contact automatically allowed transactions to proceed when they may otherwise have triggered suspicious transaction checks!
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I think this is incorrect. 

If they have any doubt about a transaction they will get in touch with you.
    Yes, that’s been my experience.  Last time was when I bought a new camera a few years ago.  The transaction was refused so I said to the vendor hang on I’ll call my card company.  Before I could do that my phone rang and it was the CC company calling to verify if the transaction was genuine.  I confirmed it was and it then went through.
    Simply blocking a transaction with no immediate follow-up is very poor service.  Supposing you were abroad somewhere and needed to check-in to a hotel or buy a plane ticket or any number of other scenarios.  
    Has the OP asked why the transaction was declined?

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've always contacted my credit card company in advance of a significant purchase to ensure the transaction will proceed without any hiccups - never had any problems, and never been told this is incorrect.
    What's the issue ?
    Even if you contact the card company. Unless it is over the daily card limit. There is no way to stop the security system form kicking in.
    Life in the slow lane
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mickey666 said:

Simply blocking a transaction with no immediate follow-up is very poor service.  Supposing you were abroad somewhere and needed to check-in to a hotel or buy a plane ticket or any number of other scenarios.  
    Has the OP asked why the transaction was declined?

Transaction may not have been blocked. It could have been a error at retailer end, or customer error on PIN.

If it did not go through, then ringing the card provider to find out why is a good idea.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure