Advice on funding, returning to uni after being overpaid by SLC

Options
I left university just over 2 years ago, about 1 year and 4 months into a 4 year engineering degree with a foundation year. According to a letter from SLC I got overpaid £5199.40 because I left early.

I'd like to do a different degree starting 2021 over 3 years, either computer science or cyber security probably. Would I still get funding if that's what I wanted to do?

I've read that I could still get funding on a future course if I left due to "compelling personal circumstance", which I think my situation counts as.

Without being too detailed I left because I had personal problems centred around my (now) ex-girlfriend's suicide attempt and stay in a mental health hospital followed by our break up. The relationship was a long term one and we lived together which had a huge impact on my state mentally. I was still processing her suicide attempt when suddenly I had nowhere to live and no money to afford somewhere close to campus.

I didn't see a doctor about any of that but I did see the university mental health team following a referral from one of my mentors (lecturer assigned by the uni). So maybe I'd be able to use that as supporting evidence?

How do student finance usually process this kind of situation?

I'm in England if that changes anything

Any advice would be great, student finance are asking that you only contact them for emergencies at the moment and I figured posting here would be a good alternative to letting my anxiety grow for a few weeks.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You have suffered a lot. it could well be that slc accept the extenuating circumstances. Did you see a GP? Maybe a letter from them will help your case.
    What is the situation with slc now? Have they demanded repayment or asked for a repayment plan? 
    Worst case is that you are eligible for funding for 3 years + 1 year for the new course, less any funding you've already had. So if they funded the foundation year and part of year 1 of the original course, then they would take 2 years off the 3+1 and leave you with funding for the last 2 years of the new course. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • jcraw
    jcraw Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    silvercar said:
    You have suffered a lot. it could well be that slc accept the extenuating circumstances. Did you see a GP? Maybe a letter from them will help your case.
    What is the situation with slc now? Have they demanded repayment or asked for a repayment plan? 
    Worst case is that you are eligible for funding for 3 years + 1 year for the new course, less any funding you've already had. So if they funded the foundation year and part of year 1 of the original course, then they would take 2 years off the 3+1 and leave you with funding for the last 2 years of the new course. 

Thanks for replying. 

I didn't go to a GP but did go to the universities mental health and wellbeing team so perhaps I could get a letter from them.
    SLC sent a letter out when I was withdrawn from the course, 2 years ago, making me aware of the overpayment and stating I would need to pay it back. I haven't repaid any of it but I haven't had any letters chasing up repayment either.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback