Furlough and part time work with employer starting now

Options
I have a relative who is currently furloughed and has been asked to return to work 31 May. She has a young child and requires childcare from family if she has to return to work. Employer has advised she will no longer be covered under furlough scheme. This presents a very difficult situation as under current lockdown rules family cannot proved childcare. Worst case scenario is that the employer will make her redundant.

It would be very much appreciated is some guidance/advice could be provided or point me to somewhere we can get appropriate help.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If there's work available then it's unlikely the employer will continue to furlough her, although i do believe that people can be furloughed for childcare reasons. It's still entirely the decision of the employer. She can of course take unpaid leave but her job maybe at risk if she did this.
  • Splatfoot
    Splatfoot Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would be asking relatives to look after them if it were me. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 May 2020 at 7:36PM
    Options
    If there's work available then it's unlikely the employer will continue to furlough her, although i do believe that people can be furloughed for childcare reasons. It's still entirely the decision of the employer. She can of course take unpaid leave but her job maybe at risk if she did this.
    They can be furloughed 😉, but if the employer  would is a different matter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback