Estimate for extension

Options
anonymous12124
anonymous12124 Posts: 67 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 30 May 2020 at 2:02PM in Is this quote fair?

I was wondering if I could get some input from other members on the extension we’d like to get done. I’ve drawn together a couple of rough diagrams with measurements in the link below. If we were to stay at home whilst the building work is done and we used standard build and fitting materials what do you think we’d be looking at in terms of price to nearest £5k?

https://imgur.com/a/1cGNVuv

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    so its an extension, new kitchen, new bathroom and new living room. One problem I can see is that's quite a lot of new rooms and we don't know the standard of finish you expect. The kitchen could be a £5-10k job or it could be easily double or triple that, same for bathroom. For the external work is it to be a pitched roof (if so tiles or slates, and which sort), are walls to be plain brick, or does it need to be stone or rendered, how big are the French doors, are they to be cheap and cheerful upvc or something more exacting
  • anonymous12124
    Options
    mwarby said:
    so its an extension, new kitchen, new bathroom and new living room. One problem I can see is that's quite a lot of new rooms and we don't know the standard of finish you expect. The kitchen could be a £5-10k job or it could be easily double or triple that, same for bathroom. For the external work is it to be a pitched roof (if so tiles or slates, and which sort), are walls to be plain brick, or does it need to be stone or rendered, how big are the French doors, are they to be cheap and cheerful upvc or something more exacting

These are all great questions and I guess a lot will depend on what can fit into my £65k budget. I was hoping to get the kitchen and bathroom fittings for £15k leaving the rest for the structural work. I would want to start off with basic (cheap) for everything and build on from there. UPVC doors and windows and a ptched roof. But if I have wiggle room I would start to consider things like more flashy parts.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 June 2020 at 5:46PM
    Options
    mwarby said:

These are all great questions and I guess a lot will depend on what can fit into my £65k budget. I was hoping to get the kitchen and bathroom fittings for £15k leaving the rest for the structural work. I would want to start off with basic (cheap) for everything and build on from there. UPVC doors and windows and a ptched roof. But if I have wiggle room I would start to consider things like more flashy parts.
    You won't do all of that for £65k.  Not a chance.    You've a substantial extension and a major remodel.   The building work alone will come to more than that, before you fit the house out.  

We won't talk about the feat of structural engineering you've created by removing what looks like the original back corner of the house (the top left corner of the current kitchen).

You need an architect.  Your new kitchen appears to be about 2.7 metres in depth, not enough space  for a decent kitchen in there or space to comfortably sit around a dining table.  You cannot create the extra depth in the area next to bathroom the way that you are attempting without supporting the original back corner, if it is where I think it is.  (Ok, I did talk about it) 

People really need to design houses from the inside-out rather than sticking the obligatory bifolds and velux on the back of a tunnel with no room for furniture placement.  

You can't ask to the nearest £5k.  It takes time and skill to price up a build and we haven't even seen a photo of your house and don't even know what is roofing your garage, presently.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • anonymous12124
    Options
    You won't do all of that for £65k.  Not a chance.    You've a substantial extension and a major remodel.   The building work alone will come to more than that, before you fit the house out.  

We won't talk about the feat of structural engineering you've created by removing what looks like the original back corner of the house (the top left corner of the current kitchen).

You need an architect.  Your new kitchen appears to be about 2.7 metres in depth, not enough space  for a decent kitchen in there or space to comfortably sit around a dining table.  You cannot create the extra depth in the area next to bathroom the way that you are attempting without supporting the original back corner, if it is where I think it is.  (Ok, I did talk about it) 

People really need to design houses from the inside-out rather than sticking the obligatory bifolds and velux on the back of a tunnel with no room for furniture placement.  

You can't ask to the nearest £5k.  It takes time and skill to price up a build and we haven't even seen a photo of your house and don't even know what is roofing your garage, presently.  
    Thanks for this detailed post. I guess some of your questions have come about because of the diagrams I put up, they are not accurate and probably have some big mistakes.

Since I posted my last comment I've had two builders and an architect come out. What they've all said is that everything on the side of the house would need to come down and rebuilt, the back and conservatory would need to be dug up anyway. 2 RSJ beams would need to be brought in.

They've said this would be a 12-14 week project but would largely depend on any issues uncovered - it's a 100 yr old semi. The first builder quoted 55k excluding kitchen & bathroom fittings. It would include all the knock down, building work, electrics and plumbing. The 2nd builder quoted 60k excuding kitchen and bathroom units. The architect showed me a recent build similar to what I'm after he said that was around the 55k mark. I need planning permission - but all of them said shouldn't be any probs getting it.

Based on research and these quotes, I think 65k for the build and basic design/fittings is achievable. However I'm going to wait an extra 12 months and get a new roof for the house and some garden landscaping done at the same time. That will probably push everything closer to 75k.
  • ironmanjason
    Options
    I am on a similar boat.. with a similar budget.. but the scope of works is more straight forward but not sure if the budget is actually enough.. we want to extend by 3m and have a new kitchen and a downstairs bathroom.. and knock down a small wall by the stairs to open up the hallway from front doors to back garden. 

Can this be done for around 50k (Including VAT) without the finishes (i.e. - kitchen and bathroom fittings?)

Make £2019 in 2019 Challenge - £272.48/£2019
  • anonymous12124
    Options
    I am on a similar boat.. with a similar budget.. but the scope of works is more straight forward but not sure if the budget is actually enough.. we want to extend by 3m and have a new kitchen and a downstairs bathroom.. and knock down a small wall by the stairs to open up the hallway from front doors to back garden. 

Can this be done for around 50k (Including VAT) without the finishes (i.e. - kitchen and bathroom fittings?)
    Well the area you're in will dictate the price quite a bit. In the Midlands 50k will get a lot done.  But the standard of the parts in your kitchen will play a huge role.

If you're not extending or doing anything with the side of your house, then you should be fine with your budget. Ask a couple of reputable builders to come out for you.

• I am on a similar boat.. with a similar budget.. but the scope of works is more straight forward but not sure if the budget is actually enough.. we want to extend by 3m and have a new kitchen and a downstairs bathroom.. and knock down a small wall by the stairs to open up the hallway from front doors to back garden. 

We have a very similar project in the northwest, we are extending an L shape in the back, (kitchen extended once already) total area about 18 m2. Quite a bit of knock through, 3 beams needed in. Builders have estimated from 38k, 60k and 68k just to do the construction work Including glazing( big patio door and roof lights), pluming, electrics and plastering . Our budget is also 50k.
    Hope that helps.
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a similar extension in the south east, but managed it myself. Used trade accounts where I could and the total cost came in at £68k.  That did included 45m2 oak flooring, granite worktops, 5m aluminium sliding doors (so much better than bi-folds!) and a Morso wood burner.  These 4 things alone cost £12k so we spent on the finishing touches
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 August 2020 at 6:15PM
    Options
    davilown said:
    I had a similar extension in the south east, but managed it myself. Used trade accounts where I could and the total cost came in at £68k.  That did included 45m2 oak flooring, granite worktops, 5m aluminium sliding doors (so much better than bi-folds!) and a Morso wood burner.  These 4 things alone cost £12k so we spent on the finishing touches
    Whereabouts are you in the South East, @davilown?

I'm getting quotes for my mega-extension but didn't think I would come to much less than £100k, even before fittings.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am in Glasgow getting at 3.5mx7m extention. Cost without kitchen fit-out 4m bi-fold, 3 velux windows, plastered finish with basic electics, ready for our choice of flooring, knocking wall through from original kitchen including drawings and all council costs is 43k. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback