Set up new NS&I saving account

Hi guys,
First time here, so hope the question is not to daft :)
I was just in the process of opening a NS&I bond saving account, which I was going to move my redundancy money into, then drawn down on it once a month.
At the end of the application process, I was asked for my card details and 3 digit security code.
Normally when I have opened online accounts, you are given an account number  and sort code, then after you opened the account you move the money in via your bank account. 
Is it normal to ask for all your details up front, I was hesitating, as it was a large sum of money and seemed a bit odd?
Cheers for any advice or tips.... 

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's a bit of a peculiar account but nothing to worry about.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6148410/ns-i-income-bonds
  • Amac48
    Amac48 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Cheers, I found the other thread a bit further down about the interest.
    Thanks for getting back to me, must say its a bit random....
  • cwmoss
    cwmoss Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have a deposit account with a bank that is rumoured to be in trouble. If it goes bust, I know my capital is protected by the FCSC, but can anyone tell me what happens to any interest that has accrued? The deposit matures on 15 July and any interest is paid on maturity. Thanks 
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    cwmoss said:
    I have a deposit account with a bank that is rumoured to be in trouble. If it goes bust, I know my capital is protected by the FCSC, but can anyone tell me what happens to any interest that has accrued? The deposit matures on 15 July and any interest is paid on maturity. Thanks 
    You will get it all back up to £85K, interest included.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cwmoss said:
    FSCS pays interest accrued but uncredited:

5.9 Except where the compensation sum arises from a temporary high balance, the FSCS shall reimburse interest owed on eligible deposits which had accrued, but has not been credited, at the compensation date. The limit provided for in 4.2 [the £85K cap] shall not be exceeded by the payment of any such interest.

http://www.prarulebook.co.uk/rulebook/Media/Get/db8bc539-1fac-49e4-9601-2c78832323e4/PRA_2015_39/pdf
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback