Renewing travel insurance : what would you do?

Options
I've received a quote for my annual travel insurance policy which expires in a couple of weeks. It's a good quote, only a few pounds more than last year. I've not been able to use the existing policy since March or to use a new one for the foreseeable future as foreign travel isn't allowed and we can't even take a holiday in this country. I've got no current bookings except for an easyjet flight in early June which I'll happily take a voucher and rebook.

It doesn't seem sensible to pay out for a year's insurance when I'd be lucky to have 9 months cover at best if travel started again in September. Plus I've only been able to use my existing policy for 9 of the 12 months.

Before I call them to discuss it, does anyone have any views /experience of this that might help me? TIA🙂

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    My view is why pay to insure something that isn’t going to happen, wait till you have something booked then take out a policy ( yearly or otherwise )
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. That was my view too. I could start from scratch looking for a policy when the travel restrictions are lifted by the FCO. Alternatively I could speak to the company that I'm with and ask if I can defer. It does seem crazy to renew a policy now when we aren't allowed  to travel anywhere.
  • Ngozi
    Ngozi Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd wait.
    Once all travel starts to return to normal, then look at booking it and i'm guessing many policies might be re-worded and things added, others taken away.

Possibly look at a bank account or credit card that gives free travel insurance, even if its only basic, just as a bit of a "safety net" if you're someone who might grab a last minute flight.
  • maman
    Options
    I phoned the insurance company and asked about the 3 months of this policy (unable to use) and could I defer the one due to start on June 12th. 

Ongoing, I can't defer, just start again from scratch as effectively a new customer or go with someone else. So I'll wait on this until FO guidance etc changes. 

The 3 months unused was more interesting. Apparently, if I'd phoned them on March 17th (?) when advice changed I could have had a pro rata repayment. But, so they said, their terms and conditions say that they do the payment from the phone call so as I phoned today I'm eligible for a week's refund! I've since read the Ts&Cs carefully and there's nothing about phone calls. They obviously know the date my policy couldn't be used. I intend to complain. It'll keep me occupied in lockdown. 😁
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman said:
    I phoned the insurance company and asked about the 3 months of this policy (unable to use) and could I defer the one due to start on June 12th. 

Ongoing, I can't defer, just start again from scratch as effectively a new customer or go with someone else. So I'll wait on this until FO guidance etc changes. 

The 3 months unused was more interesting. Apparently, if I'd phoned them on March 17th (?) when advice changed I could have had a pro rata repayment. But, so they said, their terms and conditions say that they do the payment from the phone call so as I phoned today I'm eligible for a week's refund! I've since read the Ts&Cs carefully and there's nothing about phone calls. They obviously know the date my policy couldn't be used. I intend to complain. It'll keep me occupied in lockdown. 😁
    How would they know you wanted to cancel and get a rebate unless you contacted them?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • maman
    edited 3 June 2020 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Ganga said:

How would they know you wanted to cancel and get a rebate unless you contacted them?
    Because if I'd travelled against FO advice then they wouldn't have provided me with cover.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maman said:
    Ganga said:

Because if I'd travelled against FO advice then they wouldn't have provided me with cover.
    But you do realise that the insurance would have covered you for future holidays available after the virus, yes would have to take out new travel insurance when your old one expired but if for example you had a holiday booked for september  and the company went bust this june you would be covered,if you cancelled it on the last day of may you would have been snookered.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • traineepensioner
    Options
    maman said:
    I've received a quote for my annual travel insurance policy which expires in a couple of weeks. It's a good quote, only a few pounds more than last year. I've not been able to use the existing policy since March or to use a new one for the foreseeable future as foreign travel isn't allowed and we can't even take a holiday in this country. I've got no current bookings except for an easyjet flight in early June which I'll happily take a voucher and rebook.

It doesn't seem sensible to pay out for a year's insurance when I'd be lucky to have 9 months cover at best if travel started again in September. Plus I've only been able to use my existing policy for 9 of the 12 months.

Before I call them to discuss it, does anyone have any views /experience of this that might help me? TIA🙂
    I've just renewed our annual multi-trip insurance with Staysure and they were offering 15 months travel insurance for a renewal price similar to what we paid for 12 months last year. I suspect things will change in the next month or so and so will holiday plans.
    No longer trainee :o
    Retired in 2012 (54) :)
    State pension due 2024 (66) :(
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just received my renewal email for my annual (world wide) travel insurance that should be renewed in July.
    The cost has doubled.  I will be giving it a miss.  I have no future bookings.
    From now on it will be a single policy for each holiday.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I took my annual insurance out a few days before lockdown and I'm happy to let it run as I have a holiday booked in September and may need to claim from them for accommodation if the place we are travelling to is up and running, but we are still in lockdown.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback