Advice on garage (Mercedes Benz of Brighton) overcharging me for an issue they caused

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Don't all car breaking systems have fail safe dual circuits in any case?
    "fail-safe" is stretching it, but - yes - dual-circuit has been compulsory for decades.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 872
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

- I have asked for the car to be delivered back to me, they've refused that request and they've also refused to let another garage come to collect it.

On what grounds?  That it’s not roadworthy?  Pay for any work.  Get a quote for it to be picked up on a trailer.  Show them the quote and tell them when it’s being picked up.  Don’t ask, tell them.
    It’s your property, they can’t hang on to it, and if the only issue is their perception of it’s roadworthiness they can’t argue with a trailer.
  • MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't all car breaking systems have fail safe dual circuits in any case?

Yes but they tend to pair opposite corners. Given your front brakes do >80% of the braking you don't want to end up in a situation where you have to do an emergency stop if one of the circuits isn't working if you don't know of the ramifications of that with only one caliper at the front actually doing anything. For the uninitiated it's likely to result in the steering wheel being whipped out of their hands and an uncontrolled dive to the left or right.

• Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,481
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The option of getting the original repaired isn't a bad one, there are plenty of engineers that could drill out the old and fit a thread insert properly, I'm not talking about a wire Helicoil, but a proper tapped insert but I would be tempted to contact Merc breakers and buy a used caliper. Due to the age of your car I'm sure one will have a decent one.
    As the garage broke the first one you could ask them to fit it, it's a genuine Mercedes part.
    If they refuse, get it recovered to a local garage and pay them to fit it, then never hand over any of your hard earned to them again.

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,925
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've broken bleed nipples off before - it's very easy to do and doesn't mean the dealer has been negligent.
    The caliper can be drilled and a new nipple fitted.  Or locate a reconditioned one.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 May 2020 at 10:44PM
    I can't add much more except to say you seem to be allowing them to hold your car hostage. Pay them for the work done then take it away. The worst is they'll ask you to sign a disclaimer. 
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Grow a pair and tell them to do what you want,you will be paying for it not the dealer. Drop a email to Honest John and start hitting the social media naming the dealer,in fact what is there name and where based.
    Log into Resolve and Twitter amazing what bad publicity can do,what does the dealers MD say,copy the letter onto here.
  • I'd be looking for the garage to sort this out at their expense. They are the professionals charging a high fee for their work, they have to take responsibility for what they break. Has this situation been tested in court?
  • Kattekwaad
    Kattekwaad Posts: 303
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Out of interest OP can you price the part up in Germany to check how much the dealer is possibly overcharging.

• Consumer Rights Act is the way to go. Shouldn't have broken after just six years resulting in an expensive repair. Dealer should contribute to the cost of the repair.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback