New Post Advanced Search

Child support and a new business

7 replies 332 views
Hi I am looking some advice and thoughts. Can anyone advise if I open a new business in a different country in the EU whether any profits or salary that I take from this business are taken into consideration when it comes to child support payments in the UK. I am not trying to dodge any payments, I pay handsomely already from my current UK salary but just trying to understand if any Euro earnings are taken into consideration as well when it comes to child support payments. 

Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will you b living in the other country or still living in UK . 
  • CypruseastCypruseast Forumite
    26 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    sheramber said:
    Will you b living in the other country or still living in UK . 
    I will still be living in the UK.
  • thorsoakthorsoak Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it will be income that you have to declare to HMRC, and therefore may well be taken into account for child maintenance, I would imagine.

• onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't you want your child to benefit from any success you have in this new venture?
    26 posts
    Don't you want your child to benefit from any success you have in this new venture?
    Yes. I do ensure she benefits by paying my monthly support payment without fail and by contributing every month to a Child Trust Fund that I set up for her 10 years ago. Maybe this will allow me to contribute even more. 

As I said I didn’t say I wasn’t not going to contribute more in terms of child support. I’m just trying to get my head around many things such as income tax in two jurisdictions and child support payments to ensure I make the right decisions and understand the implications of what is not an insignificant investment in money and time.  
  • thorsoakthorsoak Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instead of asking on an internet forum, I would advise that you look at the HMRC website - and possibly consult a tax accountant.    

26 posts
    thorsoak said:
    Instead of asking on an internet forum, I would advise that you look at the HMRC website - and possibly consult a tax accountant.    

👍🏼