NS&I security - password

I was trying to apply for an account as a new applicant.  Part of the registration process requires provision of a password - minimum and maximum number of characters, numbers, upper and lower case.  So I create one - assessed by NS&I as "fair".  Before inputting a second time to confirm it, it suggests adding symbols.  So I add symbols (still within the maximum character count) and that's assessed as "good".  I amend the first iteration so that the two passwords match.  But the system then tells me the first one can't be accepted!
I've abandoned my application.
Do they want strong passwords or just "fair" ones?

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    https://www.nsandi.com/i-need-some-help-creating-my-password   

It's not really all that difficult, with some forethought.  I'm guessing that you may have inadvertently used a character that is not accepted?  
    Once the whole thing is set up you can go online to amend the password to another, stronger one anyway.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Rodders53 said:

It's not really all that difficult, with some forethought.  I'm guessing that you may have inadvertently used a character that is not accepted?  
    Once the whole thing is set up you can go online to amend the password to another, stronger one anyway.

Thanks.  It doesn't like the ampersand.

But why say it's good, tick it and go to colour green from amber and then afterwards decide it's not accepted?  (rhetorical question) 
  • patient_investor
    patient_investor Posts: 414 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 May 2020 at 8:10AM
    Rodders53 said:

Thanks.  It doesn't like the ampersand.

But why say it's good, tick it and go to colour green from amber and then afterwards decide it's not accepted?  (rhetorical question) 

I'm seeing this on a daily basis. I'm using password manager with automatically generated passwords. Usually it's 64 characters with mixture of small and capital letters, digital and special characters. If I'd to abandon every page which initially accepts my password, and then doesn't let me complete form, or worse, it does but then I can't login at all to my brand new account, pasting the very same password, I would have to abandon half of the Internet. That's current state of password handling on the net. We are so far away from universal solution which is passwordless, trustless logins (cryptographic solutions already exists but they lack popularity due to human inertia).
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure