Forum Home» Praise, Vent & Warnings

£1 Disposable BBQ's - Do not buy or use. These cause Major Damage

New Post Advanced Search

£1 Disposable BBQ's - Do not buy or use. These cause Major Damage

12 replies 989 views
ScribesWrrScribesWrr Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
There have been major fires caused by the use of these disposable BBQ's where large areas of forest and wildlife have been destroyed.  Wareham Forest in Dorset, Kingswear in Devon and Marston Moor in Yorkshire to name a but a few sites which have seen major devastation just this week.  Please don't buy or use these incediary devices or before long with the heatwave we are experiencing, we will have the same problems experienced by Australia in November/December 2019. 

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t really understand the original post at all , surely any fire is bad if used incorrectly, is OP suggesting lighting an old fashioned camp fire is OK whereas a disposable BBQ is not? 

They are also not incendiary devices by any stretch of the imagination and using one in your backyard is surely no more dangerous than setting a bonfire in November? 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    894 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Its the same as almost anything in life, if you follow the instructions and take proper responsibility for your actions, it should all be fine. But too many people think someone else will clean up after them or that they can ignore instructions and it will all be okay.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    894 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Its the same as almost anything in life, if you follow the instructions and take proper responsibility for your actions, it should all be fine. But too many people think someone else will clean up after them or that they can ignore instructions and it will all be okay.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been major fires caused by the use of these disposable BBQ's where large areas of forest and wildlife have been destroyed.  Wareham Forest in Dorset, Kingswear in Devon and Marston Moor in Yorkshire to name a but a few sites which have seen major devastation just this week.  Please don't buy or use these incediary devices or before long with the heatwave we are experiencing, we will have the same problems experienced by Australia in November/December 2019. 
    So are you asking me not to buy one of these disposable BBQs for use in my own garden (which is paved so no chance of setting fire to forest or endangering wildlife)?
    I think what you actually mean is don't buy them and use them in areas of grassland.

• shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't buy or use these incediary devices or before long with the heatwave we are experiencing, we will have the same problems experienced by Australia in November/December 2019. 
    Alternatively, buy and use disposable BBQ's, making sure that you use common sense and follow the instructions and advice available online on websites such as this one:
    https://bigkproducts.co.uk/post/use-disposable-barbecue-safely/

Before you even light your disposable barbecue, you’ll need to make sure you’ve chosen a safe location and prepared the area properly. You should never use any barbecue near fences, sheds, trees, shrubs or other flammable items such as garden waste.

You should also take care to ensure that you protect the surrounding environment. Especially in hot, dry weather, take special care around nearby grass or bushes. Forest and grass fires are becoming more common, and disposable barbecues are a common cause. Take extra care when using disposables in grassy public areas such as parks or forests. Also, make sure you have suitable fire extinguishers nearby.

• tonyhendertonyhender Forumite
    81 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Sound like one of those fortunate tellers stuff you get in crackers.