Virgin Media & Hard Credit Check

Options
Hey all, 
Hope this is the right place - forgive me if not - I am new.
I have just moved into a new house and signed up to Virgin Media internet in April this year. They did a hard search on my credit file, and proceeded to set up the direct debt. 

A few days before the service was due to begin I got a call saying that they've now discovered that our house can't be serviced and that they won't be supplying us internet. I was told that the direct debit and account would be cancelled from their end. I asked if the hard search could be revoked from my credit file and the person on the phone said yes, but honestly they were very confused about what I was asking for.

I've just been on ClearScore & Exquifax today and it's still there, and I've now seen a drop of 50 points in my credit score. This is honestly not ideal right now as I'm looking to get a new balance transfer credit card soon. 

Does anyone know how to remedy this?
Thanks!

Comments

• onlyfoolsandparking
    Options
    A hard search by a utility company wont do any damage and your 'score' is only seen by you not prospective lenders so no remedy required.
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    One hard search makes no difference.

And you score plays no part in any lending decisions. 
  • Fighter1986
    Fighter1986 Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options
    Additionally, nearly all credit card companies (bar barclaycard) search Experian rather than Equifax anyway, so your Virgin Media application won't even be seen by a lot of lenders. 
  • gracebw
    gracebw Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone! I'll have to figure out another reason my score is dropping! 
  • D3xt3r5L4b
    D3xt3r5L4b Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    Options
    There is no reason. 
    As above. 
  • Fighter1986
    Fighter1986 Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options
    gracebw said:
    Ok thanks everyone! I'll have to figure out another reason my score is dropping! 
    So the footprint left by VM is probably the reason your Clearscore dropped, but what we are trying to get across to you is that the score Equifax or Clearscore give you is irrelevant.

Lenders don't see that score, they see the raw data in your credit file and use their own scoring system.

While clearscore's system might mark you down for having one footprint on your credit file, barclaycards (for example) might not. 

• MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gracebw said:
    If it remained the same then you'd not be going back to their websites as often so they couldn't bombard you with "this is your credit score, see what cards and loans you could get that we get a commission kickback from" adverts.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No such thing as a credit score.

Regarding the search, if you are that bothered email virgin media credit report team who will most likely remove the search, be warned itll take months anyway, by which time it wont have any affect on a application. 
  • gracebw
    gracebw Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone - apologies for my uneducated self! I've just been trying really hard to raise banks estimations of me recently and it seems to be harder than I thought!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback