Replacing ceiling rose with lamp holder

Options
Hi all. I have a ceiling rose which hangs too low since we got a cabin bed for my son.  I tried to shorten it and foolishly cut it too short.  I think my only option now is to replace it with a lamp holder as there's not enough flex.  I bought a lamp holder but have bought the wrong sort.  I think I want one that I can screw on to existing bit that the current rose cap has screwed off from.  Is there such a thing and, if so, what's it called please?  Google is a minefield.  Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Martin_the_Unjust
    Options
    Oh dear, based on your post I really think you need to call an electrician.
  • Hebrews12
    Hebrews12 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.  I think.  I just cut the flex too short and bought the wrong lamp holder because it was from Screwfix and so wasn't able to look at the fittings in advance.  Obviously if I'd known which lamp holder I actually needed, that wouldn't have happened which is why I'm asking the question now.
  • nofoollikeold
    Options
    1. So far as I know there is no fitting which will screw onto the large outside diameter thread left by the ceiling rose.
    2. Why not just buy the bulbholder.  You can get them with the flex already attached as "pendant sets", e.g. Screwfix 15459.  If necessary, cut the flex to a length to suit you, allowing for the part which fits inside the ceiling rose.
    3. Take a photograph of the ceiling rose before removing old flex.  Connect new exactly the same.  Will probably only be two screws to loosen, remove old wires, insert new wires and re-tighten.
    4. You can get bulbholders which will screw to the ceiling, but you are taking the bulb very close to the ceiling and heat becomes a big issue with incandescent lamps, including halogen.

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    To make the flex shorter you didn't need to cut it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT7Lb1VqahI - 4:35 - see the red clamp. If the lamp-shed is light you don't even need the clamp - just fold the excessive flex inside the rose.

• Hebrews12
    Hebrews12 Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm all done.  I realised that I had some extra flex. Thanks for your help.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    nofoollikeold said: 4. You can get bulbholders which will screw to the ceiling, but you are taking the bulb very close to the ceiling and heat becomes a big issue with incandescent lamps, including halogen.
    Something like this would have done - https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-straight-batten-lamp-holder-bc-3/93835
    Most homes have switched to LED bulbs now - Heat is still an issue, but no where near as much as it would have been with incandescent or halogen.

Unlike a pendant light which will swing out of the way if knocked, a bulb in a batten holder is likely to break, so probably not the best answer for a child's bedroom.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback