Expat PPI

Started the PPI process when in UK. Since moved abroad. Accepted an offer and informed in writing that I'd moved and provided new address and bank details. Also a letter of authority for a relative in UK to receive a cheque if they couldn’t transfer the money as my new bank won't accept cheques.
Checked it on 3 occasions with RBS and yes it was all clear. Today a cheque arrived at my old address. Can't be banked as no longer have UK bank account. RBS "helpline" admitted my instructions were clear but that they didn't like issuing cheques to a 3rd party and they didn't know whether money could be transferred internationally to my new bank account.
So they are going to cancel today's cheque but can't tell me how I can receive the settlement and I'm not allowed to speak to payments department. 
Anyone overseas received settlement by transfer? Anyone had similar issue with RBS? Any advice/help appreciated. 

Comments

• brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you’re a migrant in any other EU state, you can open a UK account. Have a look at something like Monzo which can be opened on a smart phone in a few minutes. If you’ve moved outside the EU then you’ll have to call or email RBS to discuss your options. You won’t be the only migrant from the UK in the same situation.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • tisza
    tisza Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Thanks still in EU.
     spoke to RBS 3 times (prior to cheque being issued) who confirmed my situation and requests were clearly noted in my file and it was all self-explanatory. 
    Spoke to RBS again (after the cheque was received) who accepted the situation but were unable to tell me how their payment department would process it despite putting me on hold for 20 minutes whilst they spoke to payment dept.
  • tisza
    tisza Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Thanks still in EU.
     spoke to RBS 3 times (prior to cheque being issued) who confirmed my situation and requests were clearly noted in my file and it was all self-explanatory. 
    Spoke to RBS again (after the cheque was received) who accepted the situation but were unable to tell me how their payment department would process it despite putting me on hold for 20 minutes whilst they spoke to payment dept.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback